Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of replacing the bulbs for the rear license plate and I can't figure out how to take out the assembly - there are two white plastic tabs holding it in. How do I remove those two tabs? They seem pretty tight and I don't know if I should just push them out or turn them somehow... Please help if you've done it successfully!

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well there are two tabs on the inside that hold it in, so I just need to know how to get those out safely

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
check out the diy/fixes section on is300forum.com
there is a post there on how to do it & i just did it using those instructions

BUT....I i am not clear on the white tabs you are referring to... in those instructions they mention whitetabs too but i never recognised them i just pulleds all the "rivets" holding the "carpet" panel to the trunklid, & popped the emerg. release handle plastic off & pulled the panel back to get at the bak of the lights ther ARE two plastic clips in two holes the back of the trunklid but these are to hold the wires to the lights in place & they do not need to be pushed in/popped out.... these were the only"white" pieces i saw in there.....

anyway.....i then unbolted the 4 - 8mm nuts holding the light cover piece.. on the outside of the trunk lid, after these bolts are undone you just PULL on the piece that covers the lights it will just pop off with a good pull then the individual light assemplies will be exposed

There are little foamy washers around the holes for the bolts on the light cover piece dont lose them........pull on the little light assemblies out towards you & to the inside (centerline) of the car a bit & they just pop out... then the plug can be popped out & the bulb replaced....

I tried blueish polarg's & i thot they looked Shitty on my MSM so i bought blue/white Piaa LED's & they were not right either.......still too much blue & polarity issues with the bulbs meant that on the right the blue LED was closer to the trunk lid & the White LED shone on the plate perfectly just a hint of blue on theplate... but the left bulb was oriented with the blue led shining on the plate & the white LED next to the lid so the fuggin deal lit up more blueish on the left side of the plate than on the right :roll:

So............ I just bought bright white Piaa LEDs & these will go in as soon as they arrive...i'll put the bluewhite LEDs in the parking light sockets..

options auto piaa LED's 16.95 for a pair....various colors...

BTW for all who care the light bulbs are 168 / 194's Just like the marker lights & the parking lights....

edgy

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, i read those instructions, but there are two tabs in the metal "tunnel" that hold the assembly in place. are you saying just ignore them and pull it out, because I don't want to break those two plastic clips (you can only see them from the side of the car).

anyway i am putting in the PIAA LED white/white bulbs in, to match all the other ones i have around the car :)

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Yes i am pretty sure these white 'clips' are only to hold the wiring in place they are not holding ANY thing else in there....& there is enuff slack to pull the light assembly out, & swap bulbs w/out popping those white clip plugs out of the hole in the little "tunnel" but no biggie, just squeese them a bit with yer fingers & or a set of pliers & they will just pop out of the hole & you can pop them back in when done....

Piaa white LED's......

.....you chose wisely... :wink:

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
finally got it done! the guy at the dealer helped me pull out the rear strip (it was really tight and i didn't want to risk breaking anything). thanks for the help :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
chado
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing