Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:oops:

This weekend some guy ran a red light and I hit him. He admitted to the officer writing the report that he ran the light. Anyway my 2002 is smashed...the front end is messedup...including the bumper, side panels, and hood. booth airbags opened and the windshield crakced...also the cd changer no longer works. I know it is hard to say without seeing it...but any chance this will be totaled? Anyone have any watchouts? Someone told me that I should go to a repair shop that uses computers to check the frame but the dealer recommends a place that does not computers...any thoughts.

Thanxs

Cindi

·
Registered
467 Posts
sorry to hear that. what i would do is go the lexus and have them recommend a shop that they use for body work and then talk to ur insurance.

·
11,062 Posts
I talked with a woman this weekend who had to replace the CD player in her IS300 after she was broadsided. Seemed strange to me, but she said it just jammed up as a result of the collision.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Just repacking both airbags will cost a few thousand dollars--and that is a good sign to the insurance company that the car was hit hard. Maybe the insurance company will total the car which might be better for you. That sounds like a lot of damage, but please try to post pics so we can get a better description of the damage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You know what they say though, a car is never the same after a serious collision. I'd go for the highest estimate you possibly can. You really should look deep into finding a great shop to repair your IS300.

I knew a guy who was broadsided in his 2001 Prelude TypeSH. He has to replace his tires every 13K miles because of abnormal wear. Aparantly the frame is bent ever so slightly which has made it impossible for him to align his tires properly.

Good luck,
Ritual

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
since insurance is covering it, i would go to the best, most expensive body repair shop and have them work on it, it also sounds like the perfect opportunity for some aftermarket goodies, oh, and i'm glad that you didn't get hurt in the accident

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If possible (we won't know til we see the pix) get your IS declared as TOTALED. Ritual is right, with an accident like that, your car may never be the same.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
how are you? also, if he ran a light, he hit you, he is at fault. make sure you are clear about that, because how you state it can imply fault. anyways, post some pics, its easier to make an assessment with visual aid.

-gte

Cindi said:
:oops:

This weekend some guy ran a red light and I hit him. He admitted to the officer writing the report that he ran the light. Anyway my 2002 is smashed...the front end is messedup...including the bumper, side panels, and hood. booth airbags opened and the windshield crakced...also the cd changer no longer works. I know it is hard to say without seeing it...but any chance this will be totaled? Anyone have any watchouts? Someone told me that I should go to a repair shop that uses computers to check the frame but the dealer recommends a place that does not computers...any thoughts.

Thanxs

Cindi

·
Premium Member
11,375 Posts
sue him for medical care... u should have the $ to buy a dozen of IS3 :wink:

·
Registered
201 Posts
sorry to hear. my empathy to you and your car.
but from my experiences, any car involved in a major collision will never drive the same again.
just something you might want to think about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Cindi,

I'm sorry to hear about the accident, hope your doing well. I do alot of body work(as a hobby) and I am currently working on a 2001 IS300. From your description of the accident it looks like your car might be considered total through the insurance company. When the air bags explode that normally tells you that the colision exceeded the crumple zone. Normally in this case, the insurance company dont even want to ensure this already. If I were you I would personally tell the insurance that you dont want the car anymore and get another new IS300. It is true as many have said, "once in an accident, it will never drive like new again".

Thai

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
16 Participants
GREDDY00
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing