Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:confused: This morning my wife took my car to work, and pulled the key out while it was in acc. position now its stuck. The the steering wheel is lock. The ignition wont move either way. Before i take it to lexus dealer is there any other way to get it out of this position.

01 is300
Please help, thanks.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Have you tried putting your foot on the break, reinserting the key, pulling the steering wheel as much as you can to the right or left and then giving it a shot? It may have just gotten jammed up, I know sometimes I can't turn my key if the steering wheel got locked up unless I pull it to either side as much as I can and hold it there while jiggling the key back and forth gently.

If she broke the ignition, it's about an $1,100 fix from the dealer. A locksmith broke my ignition and that's how much it cost them to replace it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
your ignition

:confused: This morning my wife took my car to work, and pulled the key out while it was in acc. position now its stuck. The the steering wheel is lock. The ignition wont move either way. Before i take it to lexus dealer is there any other way to get it out of this position.

01 is300
Please help, thanks.
This happened to me, having your ignition tumbled will fix it. it should run around $150 rather than $1000 at Lexus.

·
Registered
15,872 Posts
Have you tried putting your foot on the break, reinserting the key, pulling the steering wheel as much as you can to the right or left and then giving it a shot? It may have just gotten jammed up, I know sometimes I can't turn my key if the steering wheel got locked up unless I pull it to either side as much as I can and hold it there while jiggling the key back and forth gently.
mine wont turn everyonce in a while when I get in to start it up, I just jiggle the wheel a little and its fine, just the steering lock not lettin the key turn

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
Dont force the key to turn, if it doesnt want to turn. My friend broke the tumbler in her car. It was a KIA, but it cost bucks$$$
Try doing some things that other members had said.^^^^

·
Premium Member
10,782 Posts
:lol:

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Ha ha!

Any update bud? Did we help out at all?

·
Registered
254 Posts
pump the brakes while pushing key in turning it left more and pulling out usually does the job for me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the imputs, and sorry for the late reply. I finally figured out how to fix this problem without having to consult the dealer. I bought a can of wd40 about $4, i spray a little bit to the ignition housing and left it there for 5 minutes, after that i use a hammer and kinda tap the ignition cylinder on both sides until the center ring pushed forward and i was able to insert my key and start. I hope that this will help someone with the same problem... besure to take off the plastic cover arround the ignition cylinder before you use a hammer.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hmm... I think ill stick with wiggling the steering wheel left to right while I turn the key as I already do when this happens to me...

·
Registered
13 Posts
the other day i was getting out of my car and took my key out and my car acted like the key was still in the igntion and beeped when the door was opened.thie happned before and i jammed my key in and got it to turn. this time i could not get it to turn period and i had to get my car towed home. does anyone have a clue what i could do. I am unable to turn the key period and nothing is locked such as the steering wheel. does anyone know what i would go about ordering a new cylinder would i need a new key or just have to prgram it. thankss

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
This happened to me a while ago and it's happened to me 1 more time since then. If you do a Google search for this you should find a Lexus Owner's Club page with good info.

One thread I found suggested tapping the cylinder with a small hammer to re-align the tumblers. But what I think worked for me was jamming the key in as hard as I could. The key wouldn't go in all the way normally. It would go in about 90%. So I got my skeleton key and jammed it in and it finally went in the last 10%. Now I am VERY careful when I remove my key and it hasn't happened again. But in that LOC thread the guy also tells you how to replace your cylinder lock. It's pretty easy and can save you a lot of money that the stealership would charge you. But a new ignition cylinder would probably require a new key. I'm not sure if the dealership can order a new one with the old key tumblers. And if you get a new key for the inside you'll now have 2 keys for your car: 1 for the ignition and another one for the doors, trunk and glove box. You would still have to re-program the new key for your car.

Edit: Here are the links:
http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16984
http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=47889

Within those pages are more links with even more info. But I would first check to see if the key is going in 100% like I mentioned. And if it isn't then try your skeleton/spare key and push it in as far as you can.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had this problem with my key actually stuck in the ignition.

I had to call a locksmith and he replaced the tumbler for $389 including about 2 hours of labor because it takes a while to get the assembly out.

If you have free towing through your insurance you can find out how much it costs at the toyota dealership to replace the tumbler.

Lexus quoted $1300 because they wanted to change every lock in the car and it includes new keys.

the other day i was getting out of my car and took my key out and my car acted like the key was still in the igntion and beeped when the door was opened.thie happned before and i jammed my key in and got it to turn. this time i could not get it to turn period and i had to get my car towed home. does anyone have a clue what i could do. I am unable to turn the key period and nothing is locked such as the steering wheel. does anyone know what i would go about ordering a new cylinder would i need a new key or just have to prgram it. thankss

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just had the same problem where my key wouldn't turn and this thread helped me resolve it.
Thanks for the tip!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts