Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shaved off the "3000 VVT-i two way twin turbo" and did a quick spray of some plastidip and glossifier. It turned out pretty decent I think for kind of half-assing it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Doesn't the engine bay get a bit hot for plastidip? dunno, never used plastidip but was under the impression that it was very fragile.
I believe it's good up to 200F and possibly higher. It should be ok but I won't know until my car gets back on the road.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Honestly, I believe that the Plasti Dip won't hold up under the engine bay for one reason, once it heats up it will become pliable and dust and dirt will stick to it. You need the dip spray to change the texture and make it more slick and oil/dirt resistant.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Honestly, I believe that the Plasti Dip won't hold up under the engine bay for one reason, once it heats up it will become pliable and dust and dirt will stick to it. You need the dip spray to change the texture and make it more slick and oil/dirt resistant.
yeah even as it sits it's a little sticky and dust particles cling to it. I think the glossifier spray made it that way but I'm not entirely sure.

·
Cherisher
4,800 Posts
I think it looks bad :(

Even the Toyota logo looks too rounded on the edges. That stuff is too thick for fine details.
It's designed for hand tool grips, etc... Never understood why people use it for anything else.

Per recommendation, I tried it on my rearview mirror. First and last time it gets used on my car. Looks and feels terrible.

·
Registered
671 Posts
yeah even as it sits it's a little sticky and dust particles cling to it. I think the glossifier spray made it that way but I'm not entirely sure.
I need you to watch this video. It's very important and you will learn exactly how Plasti-Dip works and how you can protect it.

https://youtu.be/J-T24NJ_j5Q

With that said. A lot of people don't like change. Plain and simple, the ease of changing your car's color, designs, ect. people just get mad and cannot grasp the concept or want to. Read this sentence twice, your plasti-dip is not going to catch fire under the hood. Read it again. You're fine bro, watch the video, use the dip coat. This will make it last longer and stop the dirt, dust, & oil from clinging to it, also don't worry about spilling oil on it, just make sure you use soap and water to clean it off and you're good.

The only thing I see wrong with using Plasti-dip for the engine cover is the overall function of the product. Ideally, it's meant for your rims or car color, I cannot see you spraying your engine cover every 6 months because you've changed your mind about how it looks. It's under the hood, you see it every once in a while.

·
Registered
765 Posts
To be honest, I was never a fan of plastidip and in my opinion I think you should just use spray paint. If you can plastidip then it's not that different from painting. I repainted my friend's GTE a different color and it came out great.

Believe it or not I painted this with spray paint in a rattle can. If I had to do it again I would just sand down the paint again primer it and do it another color. It's not as hard as people think.

·
Registered
87 Posts
To be honest, I was never a fan of plastidip and in my opinion I think you should just use spray paint. If you can plastidip then it's not that different from painting. I repainted my friend's GTE a different color and it came out great.

Believe it or not I painted this with spray paint in a rattle can. If I had to do it again I would just sand down the paint again primer it and do it another color. It's not as hard as people think.
Sok Di Pi Mai Yo! Yeah there is so much hate on this plasti dip cover. Thank god its just the engine cover and not his entire car! It still aint bad tho. And yeah blkaltezza I am Khon Lao

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'll probably spray it with actual spray paint eventually but I'm curious as to how it will hold up with or without the dipcoat protecting spray. Thanks for the input guys, I was kinda just messing around with the dip since my car is down for the time being.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I'll probably spray it with actual spray paint eventually but I'm curious as to how it will hold up with or without the dipcoat protecting spray. Thanks for the input guys, I was kinda just messing around with the dip since my car is down for the time being.
"...You tore the stitches out the next day after they were just put in.."

A lot of people Hate Plasti-Dip.. lol Honestly, I wouldn't have used it on the engine cover but its whatever bro lol

P.S. Don't let BlkAltezza fool you, he's a master painter and has been doing it all his life. I wish I had half his skills, let alone his wallet. lol

Perfect at everything he is.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sok Di Pi Mai Yo! Yeah there is so much hate on this plasti dip cover. Thank god its just the engine cover and not his entire car! It still aint bad tho. And yeah blkaltezza I am Khon Lao
Sa bai dee pi mai and sok dee to you too! Didn't know there were other lao people here on the boards :lol:

To be honest he did a really good job of dipping it. I'm just not a fan of plastidip and think it would look alot better painted. To each their own I guess :p

P.S. Don't let BlkAltezza fool you, he's a master painter and has been doing it all his life. I wish I had half his skills, let alone his wallet. lol

Perfect at everything he is.
You over estimate me :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts