Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Miles On Car 8000 miles.....
Going down interstate approx. 80mph and heard the Rushing Air sound over toward the passenger side of car.

Pulled over immediately.
I remembered someone on this board hearing the same Rush of air and finding one of their Undercarriage Shields loose.
Well thats waht it was.

Didn't damage anything...
Going to Auto zone right now to get a quarter size washer with Rubber to fix it.
The Plastic around the stud & Bolt actually broke away..in a circle.
A large washer will fix it.....no sweat...
Im not driving 25 miles to lexus center...

[This message has been edited by smra (edited January 20, 2001).]

·
2,909 Posts
That has also worried me, after hearing of this prob. with others. Recently I went about 120Mph for a very short time (45-55sec) on the highway. Next morning I looked and everything was ok. Looks like I'll have to make constant checks in that area.

Don't forget when these things happen, to call 1800usalexus to make them aware of these problems.

------------------
'01 Graphite Gray Pearl
"gray" not "grey"

·
15,322 Posts
happened to me awhile back, at around 1130 pm on a long stretch of country roads at that. called lexus roadside immediately, and was on hold for a good 20+ minutes before giving up, ripping the part off so it doesnt fly off and cause any accidents, went to work, then drove str8 to the dealer when i got off at 8am. service guy was told about this webpage and the widespread problem, changed his view from " you must have hit something " to " i had no idea, we will replace it under warranty. " i have yet to come have the part installed because i was planning on getting my 10,000 mile checkup at the same time, but recent "events" have postponed that until i get my IS out of the shop.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Greats guys...I read this post earlier today ...and thinking...Dang I hope it never happens to me...Guess what? Tonight on the way home from a date...I hear this crazy noise and I pull over and the dang thing broke on one end. I guess I will take it to Lexus in a couple of days....How odd

K

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
i dont think its the mileage that effect the wear and tear, but its the speed and accel rate

------------------
'01 IS300
'91 NSX
'95 Maxima

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine came loose first, then broke off at 4500 miles. What causes that? It scared the piss out of me when i was driving a long way to get home.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Problem is with the Brittle Plastic Used for those shields.

I fixed our's in 5min.
BTW, the bolt that holds the shields on
takes a 10mm socket.

I took the bolt off, put a washer the size of the opening of the stud hole in the shield
put the bolt back on and Bam! Its Fixed!

------------------
JUSTIN & DENISE C. OWNERS OF THE ONE-OF-A-KIND IS300

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine happened on I5 quite a while ago. The dealer ordered the part, and it still hasnt come in. I talked to the dealer yesterday, and they say that the part is on national backorder, and he cant give me an ETA .

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by deepcover:
Mine happened on I5 quite a while ago. The dealer ordered the part, and it still hasnt come in. I talked to the dealer yesterday, and they say that the part is on national backorder, and he cant give me an ETA .
Did you actually Break The Plastic Shield??
If not,fix it yourself dude!

------------------
JUSTIN & DENISE C. OWNERS OF THE ONE-OF-A-KIND IS300

·
15,322 Posts
yeah im pretty sure it happens because of speed and such. mine came off on a praticularly windy night. but im pretty sure it weakens over time, never heard it happening to a new car with low miles.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Miles on car 7900.
Going down interstate approx. 80mph and heard the rushing air sound over toward the passenger side of car.

If this sounds like a broken record...it is. Same damn thing happened to me on I-95 this afternoon. Got off the the next exit and took a look and, sure enough, there was the shield hanging. Pounded it back up there and, so far, it isn't dragging. I hope to run by the dealer tomorrow for a fix. If not then I'll try doing it myself.

Why the hell doesn't Lexus fix these things by recall or something? I can see the cover blowing all the way off and really causing some problems for the driver and those around him....especially at the highway speeds it occurs at.

------------------
'01 Imperial Jade Mica

·
Registered
133 Posts
crap, wish I would have read this yesterday. Just had my 1K check up and would have asked the dealer about it if I knew. So where's this undercarriage that everyone's complaining about? Front? Back? I'd like to start checking it out manually every now and then but I first need to know where to looky.

------------------
-Damack

·
$lores amongst us!
10,974 Posts
I posted this same problem about a month ago. According to the dealer mine was caused by impact damage. They told me that if the thing came loose again I would be responsible for buying a new one, BUT DONT LET THEM SCREW YOU BECAUSE THIS A RECURRING PROBLEM.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah I've had those things break on my car, too. I think all of the points on my splash guards where the bolts are have some cracks/tears in them. Nothing has flown off, though (my car is almost 12 years old BTW). One time I did have to remove the bolts in the leading edge of one of the shields, then I drove the car, forgetting to put them back on. I heard this odd scraping noise (I was going slow down my street), yup, it was that shield. Managed to lose the bolts, too. DOH! Luckily some of the extra bolts that hold on the under-spoiler on our 96 Ford Ranger (removed after failed foglight install attempt) just happened to be the same metric thread as the bolt holes in my car. Who'da thunk it?

------------------
Patrick
1989 Camry 5-speed
Mods: Suspension, intake, exhaust, stereo, interior
The ImportMania Performance Page
http://importspeed.net/importmania

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
17 Participants
shadoh6
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing