Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what purpose this serves. I ran over a rock last night that was a little too big and since I'm lowered busted the plastic insultation loose.

Its $154 to replace it and I'm wondering if it serves and real purpose. The only reason I ask is because I've never seen a plastic underbody run all the way back to the exhaust.

Is it just sound deadening? Or for aerodynamics?

·
Premium Member
6,292 Posts
It's for sound deadening, aerodynamics and also serve to keep dirt/water out of certain parts under the car.

·
Premium Member
4,978 Posts
PLP and C-One make a nice metal underbody panel.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
^^ Both of these guys beat me to it but just wanted to add that I think the PLP has an extra cut out where the oil plug is but i'm not sure about the C-One. That's a pretty big convenience. Definately don't go with another plastic one. Here is the description from prolexperformance.com

" Form, Function, Protection...
Developed by Pro Lex Performance using the principles applied on the race circuit. Blending form with function, the PLP Underbody Panel features high-quality durable T5052 lightweight aluminum construction. The PLP front Underbody Panel smoothes airflow under the front of the IS300 by covering open air pockets in the frontal area from spoiler to behind the wheels reducing positive lift at speed using factory bolt locations.

With strategically placed louvers, the front Underbody Panel actively ventilates hot engine compartment temperatures. The panel also incorporates a easy access oil drain plug opening while providing vital protection the flimsy factory counter part does not offer."

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
7,315 Posts
All of the plastic pieces underneath the vehicle serve to re-direct air, minimize drag and more importantly lift at high speeds. They are a big part of why the IS feels so stable at high speeds.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
my friend used to work at the lexus dealership and he said that the its use to dampened the sound below and all the other stuff grayrider said...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I had the same underbody panels replaced 3 times under warranty. Pretty much if your lowered especially you are gonna have some "adventures" with these parts. The last time Lexus replaced them they did a much better job than the previous 2 times and I havent had a problem since.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts