19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning a combined DIY maintenance job consisting of:

• Spark plugs
  • Injectors cleaning including new o-rings
  • Throttle body cleaning
  • New PVC valve
  • MAF cleaning or even replacement
1. What else should I do on this occasion while having the intake removed?

2. What gaskets will need replacement during this job? Injector o-rings are obvious, but other?

3. Denso or Delphi MAF?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Good time to do the cam cover gaskets, won’t add much more to the cost. Get the gaskets, oring washers, and some Toyota FIPG. May as well clean the VVTi solenoid filter too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Be prepared to replace air hoses that may have become brittled and would not fit in after being removed. Had to replace three of those in my last job

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also suggest getting new wire connectors for the coils. If yours are original or old the plastic connector will be super fragile and you'll probably break some while pulling the coils, etc. I found them on ebay - there are several sellers. If you are handy you'll easily figure out how to replace them - it was not difficult for me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your tips. Today I've started and removed the intake, fuel rail, injectors. Some new findings:

Is this diesel-like sound normal? If not, is it bottom end or do valves need adjustment?

Do I have two PCV valves? The one on intake side (red) is threaded, the exhaust side (blue) isn't.

Good time to do the cam cover gaskets, won’t add much more to the cost.
Ordered them. Replace even if the original one aren't leaking?

Be prepared to replace air hoses that may have become brittled and would not fit in after being removed.
Noticed some hoses having brittle tips with tiny cracks, but none of them looks really bad.

Also suggest getting new wire connectors for the coils. If yours are original or old the plastic connector will be super fragile and you'll probably break some while pulling the coils, etc.
Ordered them too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get a mechanics stethoscope at the auto parts store to narrow it down.
Will do it as soon as the engine is assembled back, but is there something to check now with intake being removed? Except for valve clearances which I'll check since I'm anyway proactively replacing the valve cover gaskets.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Will do it as soon as the engine is assembled back, but is there something to check now with intake being removed? Except for valve clearances which I'll check since I'm anyway proactively replacing the valve cover gaskets.
Not that I can think of. Like I said. It my be an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found a thread where a fellow forum member had same sound and it turned out to be the water pump. Will leave it here in case someone will later stumble on this thread.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Man if you’re doing the water pump you may as well do the timing belt, tb tensioner, tb pulley, cam seals and front main seal too. Quite a bit bigger job but comes due every 90kmiles/6 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man if you’re doing the water pump you may as well do the timing belt, tb tensioner, tb pulley, cam seals and front main seal too. Quite a bit bigger job but comes due every 90kmiles/6 years.
No no, not planning to get so deep. Hope very much it's not the water pump, although there's a risk: it's still the original after 125k miles. Previous owner who changed the timing belt at Lexus at 60k didn't change the pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts