Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, here's the deal. i'm a pretty blatant newbie especially in car audio equipment, so i need some help. i have an older pioneer premier head unit (deh-p730 from my old wrecked lude) that i want to use for now, and after reading many posts about the factory system, i'm assuming that i have to get an amp and at the least new rear speakers, am i correct?

so what do you guys think of pioneer speakers? i'm looking to upgrade my stereo a little bit, and so far i'm looking at the TS-A6980R for the rear 6x9's. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...72509&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03077). i'm also looking for an inexpensive amp of good quality.

basically, i'm not planning to put thousands of dollars into a complete system, just a moderate upgrade with the potential for future expansion (i.e. sub(s) and front speakers/components, and possibly replacing the hu later).

let me know what you guys think, and any suggestions are welcome. thanks!

-eric

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
aznxmutt21 said:
ok, here's the deal. i'm a pretty blatant newbie especially in car audio equipment, so i need some help. i have an older pioneer premier head unit (deh-p730 from my old wrecked lude) that i want to use for now, and after reading many posts about the factory system, i'm assuming that i have to get an amp and at the least new rear speakers, am i correct?

so what do you guys think of pioneer speakers? i'm looking to upgrade my stereo a little bit, and so far i'm looking at the TS-A6980R for the rear 6x9's. (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...72509&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03077). i'm also looking for an inexpensive amp of good quality.

basically, i'm not planning to put thousands of dollars into a complete system, just a moderate upgrade with the potential for future expansion (i.e. sub(s) and front speakers/components, and possibly replacing the hu later).

let me know what you guys think, and any suggestions are welcome. thanks!

-eric
Actually, the bare minimum you'll need, if you have an amp in your head unit, are rear speakers, you don't even need an amp if you're ok with the head unit amp. However, the speakers you have linked above probably won't be happy with the minimal power a head unit amp puts out. If you decide to get those speakers, I would definitely buy an aftermarket amp.

Also, reading from previous posts, installing 6x9s in the rear isn't a simple drop in and replace, the holes are supposedly odd or something along those lines. Do a search! :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
I had some Pioneer Premier Components in my last car and I was very satisfied with them. I find Pioneer speakers in general to be a pretty nice bang for the buck. Thats my .02

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Also just another fun fact in case you didn't know, the stock speakers in the IS are made by Pioneer.... well at least 2001-2003 are, not sure if they changed for 2004, but probably not.

·
8,849 Posts
drinkmalk said:
Also just another fun fact in case you didn't know, the stock speakers in the IS are made by Pioneer.... well at least 2001-2003 are, not sure if they changed for 2004, but probably not.
Where did you get that information from? All it says is "Toyota" on them.

·
8,849 Posts
Fixed your link.

I would say, go for it.
IS300's headunit and speakers are decent, but no match for aftermarket equipment.
I have installed Infiniti Kappas and the difference is very noticeable. My front speakers are now the "weakest link". One of the fitment issues I ran into, besides drilling holes and cutting out foam "gasket" to sit the speakers on, was that due to the large size of the magnet of the new speakers, their support was in the way of trunk rods in the back. Luckily Infiniti Kappas use plastic (non-magnetic material :wink: ), so I was able to Dremel my way around.
You can see some of one of the speakers in the picture below.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the replies - i have some additional questions that aren't answered by the sticky or anything i searched for.

before asking, i wanna explain that i don't know about all the power specifics like rms, ohms, impedance, etc., and every time i try to learn i get really confused. the other thing is that i don't know about acoustics or whatever to know what a good setup would be. therefore, i have the following questions:

1. i want to keep all the speakers in their stock locations and not have to relocate anything (i understand that some will require custom mounting in the stock spaces), so if i put a component system in the front, what will be sufficient for the rear speakers? i see 6x9's that are 2, 3, 4, and 5 way. if the speaker has more "ways" is it usually better? or are 5 way speakers designed for cars that will only have 2 6x9's for a full range with few speakers?

2. how do i determine how powerful an amp i need for a particular setup? using the above setup (components in the front, and 6x9's in the rear, with one 10" max sub in the future possibly), will a 4 channel amp do? i was looking at the alpine mrv-f340 (http://www.alpine-usa.com/html/D2_n_1_n_n.html) because alpine seems to be highly regarded on this site and others, and i would rather spend more money on a good amp than anything else.

again, thanks for your patience in reading all this and whatever help you can give is greatly appreciated! 8)

-eric

·
8,849 Posts
I am using Alpine F340. It is 65W RMS Rated. It is more than enough to drive the Infiniti Kappas, which are 110WT RMS. RMS is the continious power, so that is the number to do the comparison by. Sometimes I wish I opted for Alpine F450, as it already has subwoofer support. No big deal, I can always get a more powerful amp for the subs in the future.

The way "ways" work is that each driver is allocated a certain frequency range. The device that allocates it is called crossover. I am not sure if having too many "ways" is a good thing or not. It, probably, depends on the speaker design, as each frequency range has to blend in with the one above and below it, which is the tricky part. I'm sure I will get corrected, if I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
vlad_a said:
drinkmalk said:
Where did you get that information from? All it says is "Toyota" on them.
The dealer....... of course I took them with a grain of salt, but then other people on this board also said the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts