Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i used Ashhong's thread about how to install the D3 along with mrmonster's thread on how to wire it up to the 01 IS300's. anyway, i'm having a few problems with it...

A. i have a whining sound coming from the speakers. Its when i push the gas it goes off. i think i might need to ground the wires somewhere different cause i read that it might be too close to the metra harness. but, not quite sure how to get rid of that.

B. The sound, when playing the ipod, DVD, Radio, etc, cuts from the front speakers to the rear speakers. it will do this every now and then, almost every 30 secs or more. is it a bad connection? i did the wire taps and i have read that it can cut the wires and make a bad connection, however, it doesn't appear to have cut the wire.

if anyone can post a link, pics, info, anything at all on how to fix these problems, please do so. +Rep will be given out to those with helpfull info. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Its almost like the front speakers are cutting out, but the rear speakers are always playing. I also read that the amp might be cutting out....is it something with the wireing on the 01, or is it with the amp itself...(even an option???)

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
if you're having problems with just the fronts then you can run the stock fronts off the D3's internal amp. the stock fronts are run through a passive crossover (i assume this is the same on the '01). you will get more power off your D3's amp, anyway.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you're having problems with just the fronts then you can run the stock fronts off the D3's internal amp. the stock fronts are run through a passive crossover (i assume this is the same on the '01). you will get more power off your D3's amp, anyway.

do you have a link on how to do this step by step? i'm not a master or anything at wireing, i just know how to do it if you tell me what i'm looking for...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i don't have a link for a DIY. but essentially you will take the front speaker outputs of the D3 (not the line-level connections that you used for the metra harness, but the actual speaker outputs) and connect them to some speaker wire (just like some 18AWG speaker wire from like radio shack or best buy), and then splice those into the output side of the stock amp (the wires that would go out from the stock amp output and connect to the stock front speakers). this will bypass the stock amp and have the speakers connected directly to your D3's amp.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Basically he is saying that you will have to install half with your D3 and half with the Metra. You are going to have to follow the D3 wiring diagram to find the front speaker wires. Then connect those onto some more wires to extend them, then splice into the same wires that are coming out of the stock amp...not sure. I don't actually know much about everything, just alot about SOME things lol.

I still have some whining in my car, but you get used to it. Just try to ground it as well as you can. Make sure its on all metal with no dirt and stuff. I don't think it matters that it's too close though.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^Okay, is there a certain set of wires i can look for for the front speakers? I almost wana say it might be a short. They work, then cut out, then come back. Its worth checking...i just don't know which wires are for the speakers...anyone wana take a pic, have a pic, or wana hit up paint...??? :lol:

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so...is he saying i can buy a set of RCA plugs, plug them into the FRONT AUDIO, splice them, solider them onto some speaker wire, and wire it up to the stock amp??? something like this pic...??? and i know the pic isn't accurate to what i was saying...

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
no, you will use the D3 amplifier speaker outputs. they're already speaker wire from the D3, but you may need some extra because they may not be long enough to reach all the way to the stock amp's location. you will not use the RCA outputs to connect directly to the front speakers.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Here's the wires you need
From stock amp harness:
Front Right speakers:
Light green +
Light blue -

Front Left speakers
Purple +
Pink -

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Also, now that I think of it I had this problem as well, but it wasn't because of the D3. My connections on the speaker were a little loose, so I had to open my door and just tighten the connections. If you punch your door near the speaker does it cut in and out? I read that it could also mean that it's blown.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts