Lexus IS Forum banner

Pink Headlight

4K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  yongberg 
#1 ·
Hi, All

I just want to verify that my headlight is going bad

It started turning pink today, passenger side.

Hopefully, it will solve the problem after I change the light bulb.

Otherwise, would this be the ballast problem??

So, there are two possibility here

1. light bulb

2. ballast

I'm thinking about getting OEM one, I found one for $150

Is this reasonable???

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds about right for legit oem ones. I'm sure yours are done as they're going pink. If you want to be 100% sure, you can always swap your left and right lights to see. BTW, both bulbs are probably done.

#5 ·
They tend to wear out at the same rate.

#6 ·
Swap bulbs, and if it's still pink, then it's the ballast. If it fixes it, then it's the bulb. In which case you SHOULD swap both bulbs at the same time.

#7 ·
If it goes pink it's usually the bulb... if the ballast went you'd probably have other issues other than a colour change. They're the same part, just replace both. Bulb size is D2R.

$150 for a pair of bulbs is insane, even though that's how much OEM costs. If you can't find OEM for cheaper then just buy aftermarket, just don't go too blue, stick with 4300K or 5000K. I bought a replacement pair for something like $30 shipped.

#10 ·
Agreed it's most likely the bulb but as mentioned it's good to swap sides with them to see.
Usually it turns pink when the metal halide bulb has lost much of it's gas in the "arc tube" and cannot sustain an arc. Now if you said it won't fire up at all, then it might have been the ballast's ignitor.
Remember to wear gloves or wipe the glass on the bulbs after handling them, the oil on your skin can shorten their lifespan or make them burst.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.