Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Okay, after several tries, I have no idea why it can't display all the pics. I coded them all the same way, and tried several ways after that...but you get the point...Ouch. The car ran a 10.1 @ 14X

[This message has been edited by HIBBoyScott (edited November 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
34 Posts
man let me tell u, that guy was running 10's on the 1/4 mile with that car, and it was AUTOMATIC! its a shame that his car is messed up, but luckly he walked away from that accident, 2 broken ribs, brused up a bit.. that is luck, after doin the 1/4 in 10 seconds, than crashin into a wall.. god was on his side

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by think0rz:
man let me tell u, that guy was running 10's on the 1/4 mile with that car, and it was AUTOMATIC! its a shame that his car is messed up, but luckly he walked away from that accident, 2 broken ribs, brused up a bit.. that is luck, after doin the 1/4 in 10 seconds, than crashin into a wall.. god was on his side
Actually, auto Supras do better drag racing than the 6 speeds, so it shouldn't really be a surprise that it is auto.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
not all supra turbos are auto , but the autos ARE faster when you drag. its' a rare thing to find with a driver that can shift a stick better tan an auto, espeically with a high boost turbo(most supras in 10's use high boost wit a big single turbo)

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As Clam said, not all Supra Turbos are auto. Auto Supras have an advantage at the dragstrip because they don't miss shifts and they can spool the turbos at a standstill. 6 speeds can do this to a certain extent with a 2 stage rev limiter. All the autos have to do is powerbrake and the turbos spool up.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
plus when you shift witha turbo, you usually lose a bit of boost and have to bulid it back up, but as i understand with an auto you odn't lose nearly as much boost. plsu with a 10 second car, you have to concentrate on keeping the car straigth much less shifting it
6speeds are for dyno queens. =)

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by mrclam:
plus when you shift witha turbo, you usually lose a bit of boost and have to bulid it back up, but as i understand with an auto you odn't lose nearly as much boost. plsu with a 10 second car, you have to concentrate on keeping the car straigth much less shifting it
6speeds are for dyno queens. =)
Oh God, don't bring up the dyno queen thing! I get enough of that at you know where.
With an auto you don't lose any boost between shifts. With the 6 speed you can shift real fast and shift without lifting off the gas to minimize losing boost, but that gets real hard on your trans. Plus 6 speed clutches don't withstand a lot of passes at the strip either. And with the price of Supra parts...don't wanna break anything at all!

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
yes you loose some boost when racing a manual, but there is a solution to that...it is a BOV recirculation kit, which reroutes the booost pressure release of the BOV back into the intake. therefore, not boost is lost

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Lexus_IS300:
yes you loose some boost when racing a manual, but there is a solution to that...it is a BOV recirculation kit, which reroutes the booost pressure release of the BOV back into the intake. therefore, not boost is lost
I think the stock BOV releases into the intake tract. Only the aftermarket BOVs open into the atmosphere. They still lose boost with the stocker.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.