Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I moved my rear seat armrest to the front.

I had to fabricate a U-shaped bracket to attach the "swivel screws" to the armrest, and the lower part to the inside lip of the rear ashtray (I never plan to have anyone smoke in my car anyways).

I am quite happy with the results. The armrest looks almost "stock" in the front, and it swivels easily between horizonal and vertical.

The height is just right and I find myself driving all the time with my elbow resting on the armrest.

The total job represents about 1.5 hours of work.

This is also a good chance to see pictures of the cloth seats for those who care.

Next episode: Add-on subwoofer behind the rear seatback.

[This message has been edited by TEG (edited October 13, 2000).]

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought some Radio Shack "speaker grille" fabric which is actually a very close match to the IS300 cloth interior material. It covers the hole nicely.

I am fitting the subwoofer this weekend, and will post some more pictures when I am done.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
that looks very good, but too bad I will not be able to do such a thing. I am actually using my ski-pass through. No I am not using it for ski equipment, I am actually using it for my RC airplane wing. The wing spans 78.5 inches, so the only way I can fit into the car is use the pass through. Work really well though, so if you ever get into RC airplane, this is the way you can carry the plane in the car.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Originally posted by Daniel:
that looks very good, but too bad I will not be able to do such a thing. I am actually using my ski-pass through. No I am not using it for ski equipment, I am actually using it for my RC airplane wing. The wing spans 78.5 inches, so the only way I can fit into the car is use the pass through. Work really well though, so if you ever get into RC airplane, this is the way you can carry the plane in the car.
Roll down the back windows and let the wings stick out! See if the IS3 can fly!

·
Premium Member
15,322 Posts
make a mount for it on top of the trunk lid, that way it will double as a spoiler, look really cool and create awesome downforce needed while speeding 5mph above the speed limit to the local field where you fly the planes...either that or it will make your IS fly...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey TEG,

That looks great! Takes a lot of [email protected]*s to do that type of mod. I was actually thinking about trying to fit the center console lid of a 2nd generation Acura Legend into the same area. That way I would have a flip up plus a cupholder that slides out the front. We'll see.....

Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very nice, you must be pretty satisfied with yourself right now

Did you think of ordering an armrest from JDM sources? The Altezza has several flavors of them in Japan because I remember walking into an auto shop once and they were selling armrests! It confused the hell outta me, because they were made of pretty good material but I couldn't figure out why anyone would buy it.

Now I know! You guys should look into that if you are really into getting an armrest. Taking the back out is... kinda ghetto, but very creative!

My right arm would be damn tired without the built-in armrest that came *standard* on my Accord Coupe!

·
2,909 Posts
Very creative TEG, that never even crossed my mind . I am very impressed with the idea and the job you did. Thanks for the idea I might just do the same when I get my IS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts