Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of the back of the IS300 stereo. Of course there are no RCA inputs or outputs...too bad. Those two black holes at the lower right are not RCA plugs even though they may look a little like it in this photo.

--Alan
(IS300 Owners' Registry)

·
Registered
387 Posts
is that the sterio unit in your IS?

why take them out?

Are you going to put something aftermarket into your IS? Can that be done?

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey Alan,

I have heard different theories on this but can you tell me for sure on the location of the factory amp. Is the amp integrated into the head unit its self or is it a separate box. Do you have any pics or any info on the door speakers? How much mounting depth is back there? What are your plans stereo wise? I work at Circuit City so I got most of my equipment factory direct. Let me know what you find out. I'm close to doing my stereo but I haven't gotten around to it.

Joel

2 Infinity Perfect 12's
6.5 Infinity Perfect separates
6X9 Infinity Kappa

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have heard that Lexus stereos are a little "weird" to discourage theft. If people know that they are hard to make work in other vehicles then they might not try to steal one.

At least that was the theory...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stereo isn't getting replaced--there was a problem with the CD changer mechanism where it would only accept a single CD, and then wouldn't eject that CD unless power was cycled to the changer. The tech allowed some pictures to be taken while he had it out of the car to switch in a new unit.

I'll work on other pictures, but don't have answers right now for the depth (I didn't think to ask about pictures inside the car while the stereo was out), etc.

I believe Lexus, like most car manufacturers these days, has gone to proprietary connectors for their stereos and non-standard dash configurations to discourage both theft of OEM stereos and to discourage the addition of aftermarket equipment.

As for future plans for the stereo, for now, they just involve adding a sub in the trunk.

--Alan
(IS300 Owners' Registry)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the picture.

I'd be interested to know if any IS owner is planning on making a change.

I just got a Kenwood Z919 and am trying to figure out how to get it into my IS that I'm still waiting for.

Any other info would be great!

------------------
'01 SBM IS300

·
Registered
424 Posts
Alan,

Thanks for your great picture about the back of the stereo unit. It really helps ! In fact, good timing coz` I've got a call from my dealer and Lexus Canada that the replacement unit is in their hands.

I will have my replaced this Friday.

Btw, do you think it's easy to scratch the surroundings of the stereo unit, especially the climate control unit ? Do they have to take part of the surroundings (ie, the vents, the climate control plate, and the switch plate where the heated seats/traction control reside in order to remove this stereo unit ?

The location of screws mentioned in the previou post seem to be hard to figure out. Good in the sense that the dash is refined but bad when you really want to locate them !

thanks a lot.

Andy

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hey AndyL ... Did you add a sub yet? I got a pair of perfect 10's to install. Where can i get the remote turn on wire for the amp off the back of the radio? Also... I guess i will need a Hi/Lo converter. Do you know if I splice the Hi/Lo off the two 6x9 rear speakers and run that signal to my amp. if they will still play? I wanna try to keep everything working. Do you know if I disconnect the battery to add the amp if i need to reset any components?
Hey i was also up in toronto last week. I was on Weston Rd and Black Creek and I saw a White IS pass me going the opposite way on Weston. I was in a Blue IS! Was that you? I dont see many of them in toronto.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AndyL--I didn't get to see the tech taking the stereo out, so I can't answer your questions about scratching it.

If you are having some stereo work done and are worried about an installer hurting something, just make sure to go to a place that works on other nice cars. They will be used to having to work with difficult dashes and taking care not to hurt anything.

--Alan
(IS300 Owners' Registry)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello,
I am considering purchasing an IS300 and have been ready this forum for the last week or two. I certainly don't want to offend anybody with my first post, but there are a lot of mis-informed people on this site. I can't believe some of the stuff people post. Anyway, I wanted to convey my experience with my previous ES300 and the stereo modification and how they MAY relate to the IS300 system. Caveat, it has been several years since I did the system in the ES and have since sold the car. Basically in the ES300 you have a head unit which sent out a fairly low preamp voltage to the amplifier which was mounted under the seat. I want througth a lot of effort at the time in tracking down somebody who could tell me the output voltage, but basically all I did was pull out the old amp, splice in leads from the headunit into a din cord which feeds an active crossover. The crossover connected to the amp via a second din (ADS components)and replaced all the speakers in the car. Basically that's it. I don't know where peole come up with this bull about proprietary this and proprietary that. Sure they may use a unigue conector, but so what. Of course if you buy a tech manual you can figure most of this stuff out from the wiring diagrams along with a lot of other questions I see on this board. What's $70-80 after you just drop $30+k on a car. I usually negotiate one inthe vehicle purchase price. Anyway, Hope this helps or at least puts you in the right direction.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What I said about proprietary connectors was absolutely correct. If someone wanted to try to install the IS300 stock head unit in another car, they would have to buy (if they could find them) the appropriate plugs to mate up to those connectors on the back of the head unit and have the wiring in the new location hooked up to those plugs.

If someone wants to hook up an aftermarket amplifier to the IS300 stereo, they will have to cut wires to do so--there are no RCA plugs. All of the wires are hooked up to a single connector.

You are correct that it really is no big deal once you find out which wire is which to splice into the appropriate outputs and hook them to an amp. I went this route with my old M roadster (which had an extensive a/d/s/ system in it). I do know a little about car stereos and don't speak blindly...my car was used as an a/d/s/ show car in '98.

A lot of people don't like cutting into wires on their brand new $30k car, which is why proprietary connectors discourages people from doing upgrades. If standard connectors (or even better--RCA outputs) were provided, it would be much easier for people to hook up aftermarket equipment without having to worry about cutting any wires.

--Alan
(IS300 Owners' Registry)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Allen,
Are the plugs proprietary or unigue? I don't know, but who cares. I can't imagine why anybody would want to put an IS300 head unit in another car. The quality is marginal and liklyhood of it fitting is remote. If you don't have the confidence to cut wires on a $30Kcar, then don't. That's why they have professional shops. I also am very familar with ADS components, albeit it has been a few years. Do you do your own work or have it done for you? If you did the same thing in your Bimmer, you know it is pretty easy and really is become the only choice for many applications today due to the unigue faceplates used on many OEM aplications. I was simply trying to point people in the right direction. My comments about people being misinformed were not directed at you personally and was really just a general statements regarding some of the responses I read.
Good Day

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dan--thanks for the followup. Ok, I understand where you are coming from now. I just mentioned the proprietary connectors because I had seen someone ask if it would be possible to integrate the IS300 head unit into another car.

I didn't do the stereo work on the M roadster myself as it was too extensive of an installation for me to even think about doing. The entire interior of the car and trunk was removed...gutted...p840 amp powering 336is separates up front and a4is separates in the rear...p4100 amp powering two dual-voice-coil 310rs 10" subs in the trunk in a custom box sealed against the front wall of the trunk...which was honeycombed with holes to port the sound through...custom black vinyl trunk done with amps mounted flush in the floor.

here are some pics:

In the past I've done my own stereo work on less-involved installations (had a 15" sub in the trunk of a prelude vtec for a while...wonderful bass.
I did my own install on my prior Z3...nothing too fancy, but it worked:

I better stop with Z3 pictures now before I get booted off this board. Will hopefully have pics of a sub install in the IS300 soon.

--Alan
(IS300 Owners' Registry)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Alan - how's things?

I added an 8" Bazooka in the trunk and am trying to noodle through adding two Kenwood eXcelon's on the rear deck. The problem with the rear deck, everyone should be aware of, is that there are four speaker leads to the rear deck. The rear speakers are a 6x9 stacked configuration with a seperately powered 6X9 woofer and a seperately powered 3" tweeter. I'm wondering if I can just connect the leads together on each side and run to the 6x9's.

When I hook the 6x9's up to a choice of the leads it was either really bright or really muddy which leads me to believe that the signals are crossed over at the head unit.

With the bass tube, I also notice that it sounds a lot better with the rear armrest down. There's a lot of sound proofing behind the rear sear and on the rear deck.

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300
Solar Yellow Exterior
Black Leather/Escaine
LD/LS/HH/SR/AW
wheel locks, trunk mat

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You might want to trace the speaker wires back a little bit. It is possible that they are split from the same source wire and then just use in-line resistors as filters for passive crossovers. If you could get back to the source wire, you'd be in good shape. If they are crossed-over from the head unit....ugh.

You could always consider mounting little separate tweeters next to your Excelons...using the Excelons for rear bass fill and hooking up the other set of wires to the aftermarket tweeters for the highs.

--Alan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im having trouble installiong an aftermarket radio into my 2002 is. I bought a wire harness to interlock into the radios stock harness but for some reason im getting nothing. the radio turns on, but im getting horrible feedback. If i can fix the problem i am going to install a full system into the car. this is my first time installing a system into a lexus never thought it would be so hard lol. if anyone can help please email me. [email protected] or if you wanna call my number is 917-535-7005 all help is appreciated. thanks ppl

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Gotta be loving the accomodations for ininity from circuit city huh?

Joel Solid said:
Hey Alan,

I have heard different theories on this but can you tell me for sure on the location of the factory amp. Is the amp integrated into the head unit its self or is it a separate box. Do you have any pics or any info on the door speakers? How much mounting depth is back there? What are your plans stereo wise? I work at Circuit City so I got most of my equipment factory direct. Let me know what you find out. I'm close to doing my stereo but I haven't gotten around to it.

Joel

2 Infinity Perfect 12's
6.5 Infinity Perfect separates
6X9 Infinity Kappa

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I always wanted to say this, Holy old post.

What is the record for oldest thread bumped? This one is 5 years and almost 3 months.

Can't knock him for lack of searching!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
^ werd. Try posting the Mobile Electronics you'll find alot more help there

Reactions: Squareback
1 - 20 of 22 Posts