Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
all of these pics are "volk te37", but how come the spokes look different from the pictures? the first two look like the spokes bends towards the center whereas the the last two are straight. it can't be the rim size...

edit: wheelsboutique.com states that TE37 only comes in mercury silver. how come other sites have them in different colors?

·
Registered
536 Posts
TE37s are forged with different shaped spokes because of the range of offsets. The gold and gunmetal rims probably have offsets in the 10~25mm range while the white one is probably 35~45mm. The blue one is their forged magnesium wheel.

LE37 are just TE37 with machined lips and special hub caps.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. i'd like my spokes to look like these in the pics:

the size of the rim i want is 17. the width can be 8.5 or 9 inches. the tire i will be using is XXX/45/17. i am open to modding my fenders if need be. what would be the ideal offset? sorry guys, i'm clueless when it comes to wheel offsets.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Wufda! You have a lot of research to do.

First of all, you need to figure out what size tire you want/need. Then you need to figure out what rim size and offset you want for that tire to fit in your wheel wells (or how much you have to modify your fenders). And then you need to see if that rim size/offset comes in that spoke style. The last one is the hardest. Most people just order the rim size/offset and take what they get. I remember seeing a chart that showed the ranges of offsets for each of the spoke shapes for the TE37. The sick part is that IIRC there is some overlap in some of the sizes (that is, certain rim size/offset are offered in two different spoke styles). Unfortunately, I don't remember where it was that I saw that chart. And even if you find the information, the distributor might not import the "secondary" spoke style.

Good luck.

·
Registered
672 Posts
guys, here is simple answer to that question. TEs and LEs all come like that when its 19s with low offset. 18s and smaller dont come indented as 19s do. I think first pic is Top secret gold TE in 19 and second one special edition TE 19? or is it LE? samething neways hahah

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok guys. i called wheelsboutique. i asked why the differences in the way the spokes were designed. the one that bends towards the center is for high powered rear-wheel drive cars. that is the answer i received from the guy in the sales department (i can't remember his name). he told me that he can sell me a set of 17 in rims that bends towards the center, although the curve of the spokes will be lesser than the pics shown above.

the combo will be 245 or 225/45/17 falken tires. the rim is 17x8.5. i think the offset is 40. how does that look to you guys? combo price is around $2900 plus tax and of course the $150 center caps. is that a reasonable price? has anyone done business with wheelsboutique.com?

btw, +rep for all of you who replied. i appreciate the help.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
n2knee said:
ok guys. i called wheelsboutique. i asked why the differences in the way the spokes were designed. the one that bends towards the center is for high powered rear-wheel drive cars. that is the answer i received from the guy in the sales department (i can't remember his name)....
that sounds like sales BS, I suggest you contact Volk Tech and straighten it out. Someone up top said why they are different, his explanation sounds better. Just to say, 'oh those are made for high hp rwd cars..' without any proof is BS. Ask him what makes them different? Just becareful.. you ask for the ones you want, and you get the ugly straight spokes and he'll say, 'I said they don't go in as much for 17's didn't I?'

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
rllinghardis300 said:
that sounds like sales BS, I suggest you contact Volk Tech and straighten it out. Someone up top said why they are different, his explanation sounds better. Just to say, 'oh those are made for high hp rwd cars..' without any proof is BS. Ask him what makes them different? Just becareful.. you ask for the ones you want, and you get the ugly straight spokes and he'll say, 'I said they don't go in as much for 17's didn't I?'
i agree with rllinghard, contact mackin industries - 562-946-6820. i thought that the reason that it bends is for cars that i have BBK so the caliper doesn't hit the spokes, but don't quote me on that one. i would just call mackin and ask them.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you guys are correct. i called mackin industries and the reason the spokes bend towards the center is because of the offset. cars such as the G35 and 350Z have, i think, 24 or 28 for that particular wheel. oh well, what a bummer. i was really set on those wheels.

·
Registered
149 Posts
n2knee said:
you guys are correct. i called mackin industries and the reason the spokes bend towards the center is because of the offset. cars such as the G35 and 350Z have, i think, 24 or 28 for that particular wheel. oh well, what a bummer. i was really set on those wheels.

dont get your heart set on wheels until you've done plenty of research. wheels u want will come and go, trust me. plus there's tons of wheels out there that look just like those volks :cool:

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
You don't want those in 17 anyway. That design would look very small.*

*If you are trying to save unsprung weight, disregard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts