Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hey chippy - I though you just said the LSD is what seperates the "wheat form the chaff"...

Well, I got both, so I am safe, but which is it???

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is it me or is it really hard to tell the difference between graphite and non-graphite wheels? I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell if I saw them or not. I think the only way you can tell is if you have two ISes next to each other and one had them and one didn't. Don't get me wrong, I wanted graphite wheels on mine.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by laughingboy:
Is it me or is it really hard to tell the difference between graphite and non-graphite wheels? I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell if I saw them or not. I think the only way you can tell is if you have two ISes next to each other and one had them and one didn't. Don't get me wrong, I wanted graphite wheels on mine.

I agree. That is the 100% reason I myself did not go with the graphite, just was not that much of difference to me.

I have to say those are the ugliest pix I have ever seen.
Just kidding, don't get your panties in an wad! Graphite was my first choice, but when I realized how dark and hard it was to keep clean I opted for the SILVER. Plus once I saw the SILVER on the showroom floor it was all over but the crying for me!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I was slighly disappointed with the graphite wheels because the prototypes seemed much darker... Kindof like the dark wheels on those old Volvo T5Rs

( Really _graphite_ color, not just polished but dull. )

Anyways - it is hard to tell the regular IS300 wheels from the graphite wheels at a distance, but when you get up close you find that the graphite wheels have sort of a uniform "warm glow" not present in the regular wheels. It does look nicer, but the difference is subtle.

I think that someone from Lexus USA probably saw the prototypes and said "hey Lexus needs to be more flashy, not stealthy" and asked them to make them lighter colored.

======================================

I saw some ES300s with flat-gray "Lexus" and "ES300" logos... I asked if I could get them for my IS300, and the dealer said no. The IS300 has to come with chrome or gold emblems.

I like the fact that the IS300 has no chrome around the exterior door frames, or any of the windows, but I think it is a shame that they insist that it has flashy, shiny emblems on the back, and that the "graphite" wheels aren't very "graphite" in color...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm sure you can find those emblems somewhere TEG, just because the dealer doesnt sell them doesn't mean someone doesn't. I saw a 97 LS400 once that had all the chrome painted black, the grey lower boddy cladding painted black, and those flat grey emblems, looked sharp.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
8 Participants
Chiphead
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing