Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hey chippy - I though you just said the LSD is what seperates the "wheat form the chaff"...

Well, I got both, so I am safe, but which is it???

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is it me or is it really hard to tell the difference between graphite and non-graphite wheels? I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell if I saw them or not. I think the only way you can tell is if you have two ISes next to each other and one had them and one didn't. Don't get me wrong, I wanted graphite wheels on mine.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Originally posted by laughingboy:
Is it me or is it really hard to tell the difference between graphite and non-graphite wheels? I'm sure I wouldn't be able to tell if I saw them or not. I think the only way you can tell is if you have two ISes next to each other and one had them and one didn't. Don't get me wrong, I wanted graphite wheels on mine.

I agree. That is the 100% reason I myself did not go with the graphite, just was not that much of difference to me.

I have to say those are the ugliest pix I have ever seen.
Just kidding, don't get your panties in an wad! Graphite was my first choice, but when I realized how dark and hard it was to keep clean I opted for the SILVER. Plus once I saw the SILVER on the showroom floor it was all over but the crying for me!

·
2,909 Posts
Those are great pics, well done!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I was slighly disappointed with the graphite wheels because the prototypes seemed much darker... Kindof like the dark wheels on those old Volvo T5Rs

( Really _graphite_ color, not just polished but dull. )

Anyways - it is hard to tell the regular IS300 wheels from the graphite wheels at a distance, but when you get up close you find that the graphite wheels have sort of a uniform "warm glow" not present in the regular wheels. It does look nicer, but the difference is subtle.

I think that someone from Lexus USA probably saw the prototypes and said "hey Lexus needs to be more flashy, not stealthy" and asked them to make them lighter colored.

======================================

I saw some ES300s with flat-gray "Lexus" and "ES300" logos... I asked if I could get them for my IS300, and the dealer said no. The IS300 has to come with chrome or gold emblems.

I like the fact that the IS300 has no chrome around the exterior door frames, or any of the windows, but I think it is a shame that they insist that it has flashy, shiny emblems on the back, and that the "graphite" wheels aren't very "graphite" in color...

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm sure you can find those emblems somewhere TEG, just because the dealer doesnt sell them doesn't mean someone doesn't. I saw a 97 LS400 once that had all the chrome painted black, the grey lower boddy cladding painted black, and those flat grey emblems, looked sharp.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
[email protected]

98 Lexus LS400
97 Ford Explorer Limited

1 - 13 of 13 Posts