You dont remember me sending you this reply to your PM?
Posted: 27 Jun 2003 17:18
Subject: Re: regarding your kit
jyeh74 wrote: ..... You think itll work if I buy the "Ltuned" badges and stikc it on the front of my grille. It's because I bought the TRD one a LONG time ago. ....
The L-Tuned Badge is just like your TRD one, if you can find a plastic badge with wingnuts coming off it, all you would have to do is shape it in the oval shape of the L-Tuned sticker and then stick the sticker on there. I think the badge on the grill is just a sticker stuck on a plastic piece with wingnuts.
All you need is a flat piece of black plastic, about 1/8th of an inch thick, maybe a little bit more. 2 screw/wingnut combinations, another piece of plastic to be the backing. Round the plastic along the same lines as the oval sticker. Then stick that puppy on there. The L-Tuned badge is exactly the same size as the stickers. It looks the same too, on close inspection you will find that they are the same. Just a sticker on a plastic bolt on grill piece.
just use sheet metal then. that's what i did. then i soldered bolts to the bracket to make sure they wouldn't come off.
edit: as requested, here are the steps i took. other people may do it differently:
1. buy the following:
* a thin piece of sheet metal. make sure it's thin so you don't see it (but not paper thin so it doesn't bend). should cost a few bucks.
* 2 flat head screws/wingnuts. 1/2" length is probably fine. you don't want the too long or you'll be able to see them through the grill (unless you paint them black which is what i ended up doing).
2. take your plp/ltuned sticker and trace it on the sheet metal, then cut it out.
3. trim the edges as necessary to make sure the metal and the sticker are the same size
4. take a look at your grill pattern and line up where you need to fasten your screws on the metal plate. mark the plate appropriately. note, if you put the screws too close to the outside edge you'll be able to see them through the grill so space them in a little (maybe .75" from the edge? i did .5" and it was too wide).
5. glue the screws on the marks so they don't move around when you're trying to solder. wait for them to dry.
6. take the plate and make sure it fits where you want on the grill.
7. solder the bolts on the plate.
8. once the plate/bolts are exactly how you want them, put the plp/ltuned sticker on.
9. put the badge on the grill and secure with wingnuts.
10. if you can still see the bolts through the grill from the side just paint them black. problem solved.