Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
After seeing these pics, I have to say that IMO the black and grey look the sharpest. I love the contrast with the clear tail lights! That silver is not the silver I was hoping for.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hey builder1

Since you got to see the cars in person for yourself what do you think of the different color options? I have a Silver one on order. And for ISisBest, what exactly were you looking for on the siller. Looks pretty much silver to me.

Joel

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am #2 at my dealer and I have a silver one on order too. I agree, I was not happy with the silver at all. It looks great in the dark colors and I think white (they didn't have white, that sky color, or spectra blue.
I personally think the white looks great in the pics I have seen but who knows. I also think the only way I woulld by the silver is to chrome the wheels which I didn't want to do. To tell you the truth the black with the ivory int. was striking and beautiful.
Too bad they couildn't have copied BMW silver too.
Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joel,
The best way to describe the silver is to call it silver pearl. It is a creamy silver with not much shine. It has a lot of metallic in it but it just doesn't look right to me at all. You will have to see it Can you tell how it looks in the pics? That is really how it looks. It was a sunny day and it looks dull right?
Mike

·
Registered
226 Posts
I dunno, i love the silver color, thats the best one of all i think. I think it contrasts with the rear lights the best.My opinion.

·
Registered
456 Posts
builder1,

So What are you gonna do now? Are you gonna change your order to one of the other colors? Does the Silver bug you enough to change your order? I have wanted a silver car forever, but I hated to read your post cause now I'm doubting myself........ =( The other colors I have thought about are the graphite and the spectra blue.

HELP

Joel

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
Joel, I was sortof planning on silver myself, but when I saw the blue. Damn! And I decided I want a color for my next car - rather than black, white, silver or gray.

I don't think the gray looks that good, it seems to be very dark - too dark to be nice.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Color choice is really subjective...

I really like the darker colors -
My car will be Graphite Gray Pearl.

The black looks sharp, but you have to keep it clean otherwise it looks "dirty" quickly.

The Green was very attractive.

The Yellow was very loud and bright.

My order of preference would be:

1> Gray
2> Green
3> Blue
4> Black
5> Auburn
6> Silver
7> White
8> Yellow

The black and yellow cars seem to be "non metallic" so they have a different presence to them. They make the car look less "jewel like" and more "liquid" (if you can understand what I mean!)

By the way - as said before - in person the cars look better than in pictures.

My least favorite styling detail is the crease that runs behind the rear wheel up to the trunk lip.

The angles of the front quater panel (over the front wheel) are neat. They make the car look like a puma ready to pounce on something. Overall this car has a brash "get out of my way!" style.

When I started the process of selecting what car to buy this summer I went through all sorts of specs and details to narrow my search. The IS300 went near the top of my list... But as more info came out... Heavier... Nose heavy... Larger turning radius... It was too late - I was hooked on the styling.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Well, according to the build your own lexus page. The GS400 has the same type of Silver as the IS300. So does anybody know for sure if they are the same? Cause if that is the case I can take a look at the Silver and decide for myself. My local dealer will be getting the cars in around the June 15-18 area. So I feel that if I change my order that late it will really delay me getting my IS!!!!! But I can see what your looking at on the silver as far as the kinda dullish appearance. Thanks in advance.

Joel

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Unless you truely did a special factory order for your car, it is unlikely that a color change will have much impact on your order.

As far as I know most dealers will get about 3 IS300s in random colors on June 15th, and they will just go through their wait lists offering up any of those cars that they want to sell. If they get a silver and you don't want it they should just offer it to someone else and then offer whatever other colors they get (later) to you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joel,
I'm not sure. I wanted silver alright and that is what I ordered so I don't know what will happen if I change my mind. I hab an LS400 that was not the silver that I saw. It was more the alpine of BMW. I read a post about the color being the same as the GS so maybe with the chrome wheels it might shine enough. I wanted the graphite polished but they probably won't have those for awhile.I agree with TEG the dark colors look great on the car.

Mike
Originally posted by Joel Solid:
builder1,

So What are you gonna do now? Are you gonna change your order to one of the other colors? Does the Silver bug you enough to change your order? I have wanted a silver car forever, but I hated to read your post cause now I'm doubting myself........ =( The other colors I have thought about are the graphite and the spectra blue.

HELP

Joel

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joel,
TEG saw the same cars I did and he didn't have any problem with it I guess, so you have to see it. All I can tell you is the cars in the pics were clean and waxed and silver looked dull as in the pic.

Mike

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I have to say that VW/Audi silver looks really good to me.

A new Jetta in Silver looks pretty stylin'

The Lexus silver is closer to that VW silver than anything I can remember from BMW or Mercedes.

I wouldn't say that the silver looks flat. It seems bright and shiny to me. More "white" than some of the duller gray-silvers you see out there.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Joel,

Maybe the problem isn't with the silver per say. I look @ the other IS's and for some reason they look better. I think I know why. Two of my favorite attributes of this car are the clear tail lights and the rims (not too shabby for standards). Both of these get drowned out by the silver.Compare that side view pic of the silver from Builder1 to the black.Those rims look better and the tail lights really show on the black! I think I might change from silver to maybe blue or black. Like anything, you have to see it in person.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think that clear tail lights look worse on darker cars, like those civics, darker cars to me don't match with the clears. I have to admit the silver isnt as good as the bmw silver, but its still very shiny and metallic. (bmw has a little purple tint to the silver)

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
My personal favorite is the silver (it'll be good to hide dirt if I get lazy to wash it), although white comes in second. However, it seems like silver will be the most common color
so I've been rethinking which color to choose. The white is pretty nice, and I kind of like the yellow. I like the shade of the blue IS300, but I don't like how it matches the taillights. Sigh...

[This message has been edited by JW (edited June 04, 2000).]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Guys,I thing That is a very cruel thing that the dealer did to us.leting us see the car but,can't buy it.I put the depoist on the silver but,After seeing all those pictures.I think I'm going to change my mine.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I agree JW, i dont like how the tailights look with any other color other then silver, black or grey.just doesnt match well

·
Registered
1 Posts
Joel,

The silver on the IS300 is the exact same silver on the GS300/400 and the RX300. You should see these on the street or go to your local dealer and you should see a silver GS or RX on the lot.
Laurenne
Originally posted by Joel Solid:
Well, according to the build your own lexus page. The GS400 has the same type of Silver as the IS300. So does anybody know for sure if they are the same? Cause if that is the case I can take a look at the Silver and decide for myself. My local dealer will be getting the cars in around the June 15-18 area. So I feel that if I change my order that late it will really delay me getting my IS!!!!! But I can see what your looking at on the silver as far as the kinda dullish appearance. Thanks in advance.

Joel

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
16 Participants
tony
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing