Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making the journey to NJ from the DC metro area to pick up my car. I'm picking it up at Ray Catena Lexus.
Damn break in period, 200+ mile drive home and I won't be able to jump on it at all.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Originally posted by All8up:
I'm making the journey to NJ from the DC metro area to pick up my car. I'm picking it up at Ray Catena Lexus.
Damn break in period, 200+ mile drive home and I won't be able to jump on it at all.
-------------------------------------
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!I would sit back and feel the joy and ecstacyof owning the 02, rub it inon some of the motorists when you do a fly by. By the way what color is it?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Uhhhhmm...constant hauls are bad for breaking it.

It's probably too late since your already headed to pick up the car....

But what you really want to do is vary your speed and not stay at a constant 60mph. Possibly even stop every now and then or take a side road off the freeway.

[ September 08, 2001: Message edited by: TeCKis300 ]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MorpheIS,
Yeah I purchased this through Greg. The dealership is sweet. My goodness is that a big showroom.

TeCKis300,
I know a 200+ mile trip wasn't the best way to break it in. With my powers of restraint, I drove between 55 and 70, changing the speed often. I actually did the same thing with my other car (99prelude) when I first purchased it. Unfortunately around here the IS was going for sticker so I really didn't have a choice.

civic Si-r,
The car is blue. It was either the blue or the graphite grey.

·
Registered
221 Posts
All8up, what are your reactions like, stepping outta the prelude into the IS? Likes, dislikes?

what kinda options did you get, what kinda deal did you get? Did they have any blues with ivory interior?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Phi,
I still have the prelude. It's tough to compare. One car is completely stock. The other one is somewhat modified. One is FWD, the other is RWD. So you see what I mean.
Regardless I enjoy driving both cars.
Well if you are serious on purchasing the car, I would go to Greg Mckinley @ Ray Catena Lexus in NJ. He's willing to work with you. I purchased a 2002 5spd w/ NAV, escaine, LSD, heated seats, graphite wheels and spoiler. I seen a few with the ivory interior and it does look nice.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
221 Posts
All8up, Yeah, I know its apples and oranges, but I was wondering what your impressions were. Since I'm considering stepping outta my 98 prelude and into an IS.

Mind telling me how much you got it for?

Congrats again on the purchase.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phi,
So far I am impressed w/ the IS. This is actually my wife's car and will be our primary vehicle. I like the fact that it looks sharp, it handles well, it has good acceleration and it is comfortable. I think it does a variety of things well for the money. Not to say it is a bargain by any stretch.
Now for the comparison....
It is such a different driving experience driving the IS coming from a prelude owner.. The prelude has no power below 3k rpms and the IS pulls like a train (relatively speaking) compared to the lude at that engine speed. Flip side of the coin, the prelude seems to climb through the rpm band w/ such ease. The IS has the characteristics of a RWD car w/ oversteer. The lude is very neutral... I prefer the oversteer. Braking, the lude feels a bit firmer (I hope so, it is a smaller car). The shift feel; I have to say the gearbox and clutch feel is better in the lude. Not to say the IS's is bad or anything it's just not as smooth on the engagements.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Also, coming from the 'lude and it's relatively wide interior...

Does the narrow interior of the IS bother you at all?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well it does feel a bit narrower inside. What I have to get used to is the back seats(lude back seats, no use) and driving position. My lude is lowered about 2" and I feel like I am sitting on the ground. The IS feels like an SUV in regards to the ride height.
The seats in the IS are so comfortable!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
All8up
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing