Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
picked up the car in a hurry and i love it except two major issues.
1. i opened the hood to show my cousin and the dam thing wouldnt close normally n nicely i had to literally slam the hell out of it to close it...anyone else have this issue?
2. this might just be me but at idle when car is on and in park or drive but not moving, the engine makes this consistant zz zzz zzz sound as if its a diesel or something....is this normal or did i get a lemon from the factory? maybe this car has more engine noise thats definately able to be heard very loud....can someone please confirm

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Yeah, you have to kinda slam the hood to overcome the gas struts. Some cars are that way. With the IS300 it was dead weight so just letting it drop on its own would close it ok.

I'm not sure how loud your engine is, but I can hear some clicking if I have the window down and am in the garage or near a wall or something. Mine sounds pretty much like a normal V engine car though, not really loud. Just not as quiet as the I6 engine. It will probably quiet down some after break-in.

Here's the PDF for the GS personalized settings. I think the IS350 is the same. Have to get the dealer to program if you want different than standard. This is a free one time service.

http://www.lexus.com/assets/models/warranty_protection/maintenance/GS_CustomerSelectionForm.pdf

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you in the car or outside the car? The ticking noise is pretty loud especially when the hood is open. The ticking noise is normal cause by the injectors. I don't the noise you're talking about. Is it buzzing noise? As far as closing the hood, yup you have to slam it a little to close it cause the hood is aluminum hood and its light. Nice car....I wish I could afford one.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
umm i can hear it in and out of the car....it literally sounds like how a diesel engine sounds like click click click n thats un fuckin usual for a brand new dam car....i dont think juus bein a v6 can cause this...cuz i have had plenty of v6 that never did this...plus in reference to hood i mean im havin to slam it hard...u know how wiht most hoods u can close it half n then jus press it down u cannnot do this by any means on this...in fact if u even let it go half way it doesnt close u gota like literally do it real dam hard

·
Registered
32 Posts
My02GrApHiTeIS300 said:
umm i can hear it in and out of the car....it literally sounds like how a diesel engine sounds like click click click n thats un fuckin usual for a brand new dam car....i dont think juus bein a v6 can cause this...cuz i have had plenty of v6 that never did this...plus in reference to hood i mean im havin to slam it hard...u know how wiht most hoods u can close it half n then jus press it down u cannnot do this by any means on this...in fact if u even let it go half way it doesnt close u gota like literally do it real dam hard
I got my IS350 yesterday to and just experienced the hood issue but as far as engine sound, I don't hear anything at all. Now, where is that HKS exhaust.

·
Registered
642 Posts
yep the hood is a bitch to close, as for the clicking sounds its normal for direct fuel injection cars to make the clicking noise. I haven't experienced it yet tho...

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
Direct injection uses such high pressures to get the fuel into the combustion chamber that the solenoids used are kinda heavy duty. So what you are hearing are the soleniods clicking. It will kinda sound like a sewing machine or a refrigerator.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dont remember hearing any clicking during my extensive test drives, thought I've been reading a lot about it being a normal part of the injection system, as noted above. Lots of talk about the hood too, which isnt anything abnormal. Maybe Lexus will fix it, maybe not, but nothing is wrong. :)

I'm hoping my new 350 will come today. I'll listen for clicks when I get it.

Congratulations, and don't sweat any problems you might have. Lexus will take good car of you.

·
Registered
293 Posts
...And the moral of the story is: whatever brand of car you buy, never get one of the first ones off the production line, because it usually takes three months to sort out initial gremlins. Not a very helpful comment, I'll admit; but true.

·
Premium Member
16,623 Posts
bartkat said:
Here's the PDF for the GS personalized settings. I think the IS350 is the same. Have to get the dealer to program if you want different than standard. This is a free one time service.

http://www.lexus.com/assets/models/warranty_protection/maintenance/GS_CustomerSelectionForm.pdf
On a whim, I clicked on the link that Bartkat posted above, then deleted the "G" in GS and typed an "I" in its place. It worked! Here's the link to the PDF for the IS personalized settings:
http://www.lexus.com/assets/models/warranty_protection/maintenance/IS_CustomerSelectionForm.pdf

Reactions: DingDingDao

·
Registered
148 Posts
hey i got my 350 on saturday and yeah i have that tinking noisE..
its not a "zz zzzz zz" but its more of a tick tick tick sort of thing..
i wouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
These are serious issues?

·
Registered
453 Posts
BossMan said:
These are serious issues?
LOL...tell me about it. for the hood i'm sure you can adjust the hood latch some way or another so that it'll close a little more easily and as for the tinking i guess it is cause it is a v6 now not an i6.

and its kinda hard to make a 300 horse power car sound quiet. look at the g35 and 350 they sound like jet engines when they drive by.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I popped the hood on mine today after driving abut an hour. The clicky noise was very very slight. I had to really listen to hear it with the hood closed. I have about 400 miles now, (with a few WOT runs).

To close the hood, bring it down to about 12" above being closed and with both hands on the hood lip, just straighen your elbows smartly in a "snap", and the hood closes and it's not really a slam. Just takes a little practice. My hood lines up perfectly all the way around and I certainly would not even thing about making any adjustments.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am sure this has been pointed out already, I am too lazy to read all the way through the posts but from what I have heard the new Direct Injection system causes the engine to have a slightly "noisier" idle than a normal low life run of the mill V- or I- 6 :)

God I can't wait until a manual 350 comes out. Who cares what is out by then, everyone will jump on that horsepower bangwagon on not get the car they really like because it has 4 less hp than the next one :)

Sorry, I'm ranting. Congrats to all the new IS250/350 owners. Please pick me up and take me for a ride in one!!!!!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Tailpipe said:
...And the moral of the story is: whatever brand of car you buy, never get one of the first ones off the production line, because it usually takes three months to sort out initial gremlins. Not a very helpful comment, I'll admit; but true.
Agreed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts