Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It was brought to my attention that i never did finish my progress. Without further ado.
Im going to rewind to day 4, since i didnt post many pics of the grass growing.

Watering 3 times a day was the key to success in growing grass

Day 4

Day 10

Day 14

Day 18

Day 21

Looking down still looks speratic

Looking from at a lower point of view, you can see results are beginning to show

Day 23

Thats to catch up the 21-27 days for growth before adding nutrients to the ground. I will continue to catch up this thread as i get time to do so.

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks for the update!

How do you get the sprinkler around the yard though... are you able to avoid walking on any of the new grass?
:grin:

I had to walk on it, but made sure it was only me that did it. I tried to be careful and walk lightly, but there were times where my foot sunk into the moist dirt and my shoe almost came off :(

·
Super Moderator
13,453 Posts
Being Fescue and Ryegrass you need to add more seed. Every year you should overseed. It will thicken up alot. Fescue also has tendencies to begin clumping up and it wont do it if you overseed.

Its fun to read this thread because alot of what you do in your area wouldn't come close to working where i live and vice versa. We mow very short but we also use hybrid bermuda/tiff grasses. We also NEVER pull weeds no matter what, 90% of the weeds that grow down here have their seeds in the root system. When you pull the root the seeds come off and that 1 weed just turned into 10. I've worked on yards where people were spending 6-8 hours every weekend pulling weeds and couldn't figure it out and i would come spray 1 time and 95% of them were gone. They were amazed lol.

As far as your fertilizer goes and your grass seed check and find out where your local lawn care companies are buying their stuff you will crap at the price difference. You'll be able to get a 50LB bag of fertilizer with alot higher nutrients for 1/4 of the price. For example here in OK a 35lb bag of scotts fertilizer thats says 20-0-2 is $64 at home depot. I can get a 50lb bag of 34-3-11 Lesco fertilizer for $18 at John Deere Which in my opinion lesco is alot better fertilizer. Like your starter fert is 18-24-6. I run 24-32-12 on fescue and get a 50lb bag for $19.50 right now. Definitely worth looking at you'll use alot less and its cheaper with better results.

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thank You. I still need a lot to learn. In a couple weeks, i will send another soil sample to the lab to see what progress i made on the soil.

Technically, i shouldve killed everything on the ground before doing what i did. 90% of the grass was dead, and the 10% that was there came back. The last pic was the middle of 2nd week of October, so there was much more growth to be achieved. I really need to show you more, but the time to load the pics is a PITA. Or im just that lazy to do it :lol:

I did go to John Deere, but 50lb bags are just to much for me to use in 2 years. Which they say is the life span before the chemicals starts to break down and become less affective. I put 1lb of nitrogen per applications, with 4 applications a year. I ended up breaking my thumb over the winter and couldnt do much during the beginning of spring and fell behind on the weeds. Hence, why i shouldve used Herbicide before doing all this work. I started it in Sept last year and it wouldve been to late for seeds before the frost hit. I do plan on overseeding in Sept to thicken up the grass and crowd the weeds. Just need to figure a way to kill this creeping charlie's that is trying to migrate in to the lawn.

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Guess its a better time than any to catch up 2015 lawn care. The main reason is, i am going to start with the 2016 Fall lawn care soon. Sorry for the delay :erm:

I added fast acting lime and Epsom salt to the soil 4 weeks after laying down the grass seeds. I also added 1lb of Nitrogen per 1,000 ft square of starter fertilizer to get the roots to grow deeper in preparation for the winter season.

Here are the results after a week of laying down the applications. Ignore the weeds and the different shades and length of grass. I didnt properly kill all the old grass with herbicides to kill the vegetation on the yard.

Day 33

Looks fully developed when kneeling down :lol:

Day 40 and the end of 2015 lawn care

Went out and bought a new leaf blower to add to my lawn maintenance. Blew the leaves in the yard, then vacuumed it up with the lawnmower :p Then did my first mowing of the new lawn. Had to make stripes to dominate the neighborhood :flamethro

Reactions: TobiasSing

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
March 2016 after the first mowing. I added starter fertilizer and insecticide around fathers day. This is the best time to feed the grass and killing grubs and other insects as the ground thaws out.

I use crabgrass preventer around mid May. This is the best time to use it, since there is a very small window to add it. Also, preventer only works within 3 weeks after application. Where I live, it starts to grow in June. Stop it before it starts.

One pic in April. Just before summer, I applied organic fertilizer. I have been thinking of going with Milorganite.

This thread is caught up, so now onto the current Fall 2016.

Here is the end of summer pics. We had a crazy summer and I wasnt able to arrogate the ground to prevent the grass to go into dormancy. I lost the battle, so I decided to save water this summer. This is how the lawn looks now :(

I am applying starter fertilizer, iron, insecticide, epsom salt, fast acting lime, and grass seeds. I did each application 3 days apart, so I dont shock the lawn while its coming back from dormancy.

Reactions: TobiasSing

·
SEAHAWKS!!
10,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Dont remind me on the cost. What sucks is that I only used one bag of seeds, when I shouldve used two. I might go buy another bag and spread it.

I am doing other stuff around the yard. Will post pics soon.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts