Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I took my hks and stock resonator pipe off last night, and Jeff, (lilaznboi), helped me put the new PFS on.

As far as weight goes:

PFS rear section weighs 18lbs
HKS Drager II weighs 18lbs
Stock rear section weighs 22lbs

PFS resonator pipe weighs 8lbs
Stock resonator pipe weighs 11lbs




As you can see above, the PFS resonator pipe is a straight section with a hi-flow resonator and angled flange that meets up perfectly with the stock mid pipe and PFS downpipe. 3" stainless of course.

The PFS system uses all Stainless steel construction, 100% throughout. 3" mandrel bend.

The HKS Drager II piping is not stainless, but the can is. It uses 2 1/4" I believe.



The stock rear section is a POS, but quiet. :lol:

I haven't gotten a chance to do a video or audio clip yet as my car is still on jackstands waiting for a head. But I will ASAP.

If you have any questions, just ask.


Kane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
how about the noise Kane,
is the pfs much louder than the dragger?

*i am also using the dragger for the time being :) *
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Kanine21 said:
Benign said:
how about the noise Kane,
is the pfs much louder than the dragger?

*i am also using the dragger for the time being :) *
check out the bold section above, hahaha :wink:

Kane


:oops:

sorry Kane, i was overexcited
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
lilaznboi said:
so you get your car put back together yet? how does it sound?
oh do STFU!! you know you're coming over tomorrow to help right?

And it's gunna be COLD!! fucker!! :lol: :wink:


Kane
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,094 Posts
oneeyejack said:
lil' IS 300 said:
I got my PFS exhaust on also...if it's not rainy as sh*t tomorrow I'll get some vids. Sounds like one badass motherf*cker...to put it simply.
does it drone at highway speeds?
I won't say there's 100% no drone but there is VERY little drone...extremely tolerable for even grandmothers...
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
13,898 Posts
lil' IS 300 said:
oneeyejack said:
lil' IS 300 said:
I got my PFS exhaust on also...if it's not rainy as sh*t tomorrow I'll get some vids. Sounds like one badass motherf*cker...to put it simply.
does it drone at highway speeds?
I won't say there's 100% no drone but there is VERY little drone...extremely tolerable for even grandmothers...
can you get some sound clips of highway speeds if possible??

thanks mang.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
Maximus said:
lil' IS 300 said:
No prob...I plan on having a sorta semi-write up on the exhaust and i'll post it. Just waiting till it stops fockin' raining to get video clips...
Were you ever able to get the clips of the exhaust on the highway?
Ok here's the deal with the PFS exhaust. This is from my perspective with an L-tuned exhaust before which was almost stock sound. When you 1st hit the gas, the exhaust will have a low, loud rumble sound. Sounds very, very nice if you like that. There will be drone for street driving. At highway speeds, from 60-70 mph there is a very noticable drone (remember again, I'm used to no noise at all so it might be alot better than some other aftermarket exhausts). At 70mph and above the drone is all but completely gone.

Performance wise, at low speeds there is a noticable loss in power (no boost). Boost comes on quicker now and at a lower duty cycle on the boost controller I'm gaining more boost. At about 55% duty I was running about 11.5psi with the PFS exhaust and 10.4psi with the L-tuned similar conditions. There is alot more top end power now than with the L-tuned at 1 bar, I mean alot more cuz I'm feeling the thrown into the seat power again. Also another run in with an SL55 AMG turned out different than from my 1st encounter.

So again, there is a drone, anyone who says oh there's almost no drone must have been using one of the louder exhausts before switching. It's a relative, to me it was intolerable so I'm gonna use my L-tuned for street driving and the PFS for track days and dyno runs. With the l-tuned I'm putting 320-330rwhp at 11-12psi and that's more than enough for me on the street.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,094 Posts
DL said:
Maximus said:
lil' IS 300 said:
No prob...I plan on having a sorta semi-write up on the exhaust and i'll post it. Just waiting till it stops fockin' raining to get video clips...
Were you ever able to get the clips of the exhaust on the highway?
Ok here's the deal with the PFS exhaust. This is from my perspective with an L-tuned exhaust before which was almost stock sound. When you 1st hit the gas, the exhaust will have a low, loud rumble sound. Sounds very, very nice if you like that. There will be drone for street driving. At highway speeds, from 60-70 mph there is a very noticable drone (remember again, I'm used to no noise at all so it might be alot better than some other aftermarket exhausts). At 70mph and above the drone is all but completely gone.

Performance wise, at low speeds there is a noticable loss in power (no boost). Boost comes on quicker now and at a lower duty cycle on the boost controller I'm gaining more boost. At about 55% duty I was running about 11.5psi with the PFS exhaust and 10.4psi with the L-tuned similar conditions. There is alot more top end power now than with the L-tuned at 1 bar, I mean alot more cuz I'm feeling the thrown into the seat power again. Also another run in with an SL55 AMG turned out different than from my 1st encounter.

So again, there is a drone, anyone who says oh there's almost no drone must have been using one of the louder exhausts before switching. It's a relative, to me it was intolerable so I'm gonna use my L-tuned for street driving and the PFS for track days and dyno runs. With the l-tuned I'm putting 320-330rwhp at 11-12psi and that's more than enough for me on the street.
Peter had told me that there was no drone before I bought the exhaust and stressed on how he wanted it designed to be somewhat tame in terms of sound...that wasn't really the case with the drone...it was not as drony as my toyomoto exhaust but there is drone.

I'm used to it and it's actually a lot quieter than the toyomoto...which I like. Of course if you have a l-tuned you're gonna be used to it being quiet.

Anyway, I totally forgot about getting clips so I will probably do it thursday since tomorrow i'm busy getting car tuned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
DL said:
I'm gonna use my L-tuned for street driving and the PFS for track days and dyno runs. With the l-tuned I'm putting 320-330rwhp at 11-12psi and that's more than enough for me on the street.
Are you sure this is correct? I kept my L-Tuned and the dyno was [email protected] You have to be more than that with 11-12. If I were to base that on other SRT stage 2 kits, but with a turbo exhaust...I'm losing about 25rwhp!!!! I would guess your gain should be much more than that pushing 11-12psi. Ya think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,389 Posts
I'm running 8.6:1 compression you're running stock compression!!!! There is a difference, if i was running stock compression at 11psi I'm pretty sure I'd be putting close to what my 1 bar #'s are but then I'd probably blow my engine pretty quickly. PFS STAGE II KITS HAVE LOWERED COMPRESSION, if I ran at 9psi I would not make anywhere near your numbers under stock compression!


redline814 said:
DL said:
I'm gonna use my L-tuned for street driving and the PFS for track days and dyno runs. With the l-tuned I'm putting 320-330rwhp at 11-12psi and that's more than enough for me on the street.
Are you sure this is correct? I kept my L-Tuned and the dyno was [email protected] You have to be more than that with 11-12. If I were to base that on other SRT stage 2 kits, but with a turbo exhaust...I'm losing about 25rwhp!!!! I would guess your gain should be much more than that pushing 11-12psi. Ya think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,351 Posts
DL said:
I'm running 8.6:1 compression you're running stock compression!!!! There is a difference, if i was running stock compression at 11psi I'm pretty sure I'd be putting close to what my 1 bar #'s are but then I'd probably blow my engine pretty quickly. PFS STAGE II KITS HAVE LOWERED COMPRESSION, if I ran at 9psi I would not make anywhere near your numbers under stock compression!


redline814 said:
DL said:
I'm gonna use my L-tuned for street driving and the PFS for track days and dyno runs. With the l-tuned I'm putting 320-330rwhp at 11-12psi and that's more than enough for me on the street.
Are you sure this is correct? I kept my L-Tuned and the dyno was [email protected] You have to be more than that with 11-12. If I were to base that on other SRT stage 2 kits, but with a turbo exhaust...I'm losing about 25rwhp!!!! I would guess your gain should be much more than that pushing 11-12psi. Ya think?
Duhh..I knew that and should have remembered such. Sorry. Got it :oops:
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top