Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was coming down a little back road this morning at about 60-70 and I saw a cop up ahead parked. I have a Valentine 1, but it did not go off. NOW since I saw him I had enough time to slow down BUT when I passed the cop he was really pissed off because he knew I was speeding, but he couldn't prove it :lol: :lol:. So anyway I came home and my friend told me that only PA state troopers use radar to catch speeders and other PA cops use stopwatches. Is this true?

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
yes, only state troopers in PA are allowed to use Radar, and NO laser is permitted in PA...

just watch out for the VASCAR lines painted on the road and you really have nothing to worry about...

(dont let the username fool you, I spent 21 years in PA)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i've never heard of a cop using a stopwatch other than if an airplane is measuring your speed. There is too much error that can be induced in judging the start/finish or starting and stopping the watch if the cop is on the ground.

·
Registered
170 Posts
HoustonLex said:
yes, only state troopers in PA are allowed to use Radar, and NO laser is permitted in PA...

just watch out for the VASCAR lines painted on the road and you really have nothing to worry about...

(dont let the username fool you, I spent 21 years in PA)
can u explain VASCAR lines a little bit? thanks

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
VASCAR. I cant remember what the acronym stands for. But basically, you measure out a certain distance, usually 100 - 300 feet depending on the speeds expected on that road. Most of the time a white line is painted across the road at the start and stop.

The cop will hide off to the side of the road, somwhere between these two lines. He uses a stopwatch to time you between the lines. He then knows your speed based on on the time and can write a citation.

Its used heavily in PA. On the turnpike, you will see white lines every 1/4 mile... those lines are used by airplanes to do the same thing.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
XCstud said:
i've never heard of a cop using a stopwatch other than if an airplane is measuring your speed. There is too much error that can be induced in judging the start/finish or starting and stopping the watch if the cop is on the ground.
In the Northeast, VASCAR (aka stopwatch method) is used heavily and stands up in a court very well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah, the PA State Police are the only law enforcement agency in PA that are allowed to use radar. Local police agencies use VASCAR, which stands for Visual Average Speed Computer And Recorder.

Basically it's a device that measures speed using the simple formula speed=distance divided by time. Using lines painted on the road that are a known distance apart, an officer flips a switch when the target vehicle hits the first line and hits the switch again when the vehicle reaches the 2nd line. The computer inside the unit does the math and gives you the speed. I'm pretty sure they have to be calibrated pretty often, so the first thing you do when fighting a ticket that resulted from the use of VASCAR is ask when the machine was last calibrated.

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
Peter_Klim said:
mummer431 said:
Yeah, the PA State Police are the only law enforcement agency in PA that are allowed to use radar
Just one question- why?
Because unlike most states, radar was not automatically given acceptance in the court of law in PA. There is a latin term that I cant think of at the moment that basically means the first time a new method is taken to court is the basis for whether it will ever be allowed in court again. It was found years ago, that radar guns should be used as a method to make highways safer. Local townships only need to be concerned about speeding tickets, not the safety of the states highways. basically it comes down to a line in the state code that says something to the effect "radar guns shall not be used as a speed enforcement device"...i know that doesnt make sense, but without the law in front of me its hard to explain.

Long story short, local cops cant use radar... just like stop signs cant be used as a speed control device...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well apparently that doesnt apply to "cop-boxes" as I like to call them. They are little boxes setup on the road that pick up your speed by radar, display it digitally, take a picture of your license plate, and send you a ticket if you were speeding. Just saw one on the way home from Taco Bell. Luckily Valentine 1 picked it up :D

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
O really? I thought local cops set them up.

Ya I mean if I got a ticket for one of those I would fight it. It would be very easy to question how well calibrated those things are.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
flproject13 said:
well apparently that doesnt apply to "cop-boxes" as I like to call them. They are little boxes setup on the road that pick up your speed by radar, display it digitally, take a picture of your license plate, and send you a ticket if you were speeding. Just saw one on the way home from Taco Bell. Luckily Valentine 1 picked it up :D
holy crap that sucks - i hope they dont have those in CA...

-eric

·
Registered
170 Posts
HoustonLex said:
VASCAR. I cant remember what the acronym stands for. But basically, you measure out a certain distance, usually 100 - 300 feet depending on the speeds expected on that road. Most of the time a white line is painted across the road at the start and stop.

The cop will hide off to the side of the road, somwhere between these two lines. He uses a stopwatch to time you between the lines. He then knows your speed based on on the time and can write a citation.

Its used heavily in PA. On the turnpike, you will see white lines every 1/4 mile... those lines are used by airplanes to do the same thing.
I got a ticket from it once, didn't know what it means... but just one question, how do they know when i pass the first point, cuz obviously they not gonna start the stop watch at the first point and be at the second point to stop the watch when i get there. just wanna know what to look for to avoid it...

·
Registered
40 Posts
This might move a little off-topic, but I work in the DE area and am constantly commuting to the Philly area. I wanted to get a good Radar and have heard good things about the Valentine 1 - can anyone just tell me their personal experiences with the Valentine?

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Shahryar

·
Registered
15,585 Posts
c2kdb said:
HoustonLex said:

I got a ticket from it once, didn't know what it means... but just one question, how do they know when i pass the first point, cuz obviously they not gonna start the stop watch at the first point and be at the second point to stop the watch when i get there. just wanna know what to look for to avoid it...
The lines are only 100 ft or so apart. They sit in the middle and can see both lines

·
8,880 Posts
srizvi1 said:
...Valentine 1 - can anyone just tell me their personal experiences with the Valentine?
Best American Made product I ever bought. 8)
Accept no immitations. :wink:

BTW, that has been discussed and flamed in the Mobiltronics forum many times over. Try a search and you will see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts