Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night i noticed that my passenger side HID was discolored. when i first turned on my lights, i saw a consistent blueish beam/line in front of me. yesterday, i noticed that the left half of the beam/line was blueish (normal) and the right side of the beam/line wasn't blue, but more redish. i got out to look at it and it didn't seem as if the HID was out, but maybe starting to fail. this morning, i pulled into the garage spot and i noticed that the right side redish light was missing from the beam that shines on the wall and when i got out of the car, i was able to confirm that the light was out. maybe it finally died or maybe it turns on/off on its own while it is getting ready to permanently fail.

2013 is250

my questions are:

1- how can i confirm if it is the ballast or the bulb?
1a- if it is the bulb, are those easy to change? i've changed standard bulbs, but never an HID bulb.
2- how easy of a DIY project is this? i realize this is a relative question, but i figured i would still ask. i don't do my own maintenance and i know that some of the ballasts are located in areas that require bumper removal, etc...
3- if i do this on my own or have a shop take care of it for me, does it make sense to change out the driver side ballast (assuming it is a ballast) while they are changing out the passenger side?

i will browse the forum, google and youtube, but i figured it would be a good idea to ask, as well.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely sounds like a bad bulb and will need replacing (make sure to get genuine bulbs from a reputable source). Good idea to replace them both at once so they match. Replacing the bulb is as easy as any other, just have to get to it.
how can i confirm if it is the bulb or the ballast? put the driver side bulb in the passenger side and see if the problem persists?

which source do you/my.is recommend for bulb replacement?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes, you can swap the bulbs over with each other and test that way. It just sounds like a bulb problem , based on experience. OEM bulbs can be bought from The Retrofit Source, Lightwerkz, etc
thanks. i took the bulb out and copied the info, i'll look online.

osram xenarc d4s 35w 66440

i'm fine with keeping the same style bulb, i'm not looking for brighter/different color.

i found these on amazon (i'd buy two), but i can't wait that long, i'll look elsewhere. although, this time of year will likely have shipping delays, it may not matter where i buy.

Sorry! Something went wrong!

edit-

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/d4s-osram-xenarc-66440.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts