Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone feels like the visibility of the passenger side blind is really hard to see. In my 4500 miles of driving I noticed I sometimes get paranoid that I cant see the blind spot. Between the rear passenger side door window and the rear window there's the large piece of the frame that covers visibility. In addition the to that, the rear headrest seems to get in the way a little. I check my mirror, look over the shoulder and thats when I get paranoid.

Am I crazy? Is there anyone else who feels like this?

BlueIvory

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I haven't observed this problem. Are you utilizing the side mirrors? Are they adjusted properly? Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious. It's just that I use my side mirrors to help with potential blind spots...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've noticed a lot less visibility in general than with my previous car (Jetta). I'm finding I definetly have to crane my head around a lot more when checking to see if things are clear behind me.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have adjusted my mirrors a few times to outrule that possibility and I have noticed that not the problem...

Case situation...
I am in medium traffic with all cars from fast lane to slow lane traveling at approximately the same speed. I'm in the middle lane and have to exit 14 mile away.

I hit my blinker, check the mirror (good) check the blindspot over the shoulder (PARANOID) begin to speed up and move over. Get over but a couple of times I noticed the car behind is awfully close thinking it was in my blind spot.

Before this I had an Isuzu Trooper and an Avalon which both were great visibility and bigger all in all. Compare to them this car seems tiny. Maybe this has something to do with it.

I appreciate you response.

·
Registered
4,523 Posts
Maybe you just have to get used the smaller size of the IS. Anyways, I'm pretty sure you're just subconsciously worried about getting your IS damaged.
Not paranoid...you're just being careful, that's all.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I think it definitely has to do with your previous daily car. I had a 92' camry, and thought that my IS was a bit constricting. But I got used to it after a while.

Image how my friend felt. All his life he drove pickups. A few months ago he just got a 2000 Eclipse GT. Image how he feels about blind spots. I still see him adjust the mirrors and seats... heh

-crontab -l

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by Wiating4mine:
I have adjusted my mirrors a few times to outrule that possibility and I have noticed that not the problem...

Case situation...
I am in medium traffic with all cars from fast lane to slow lane traveling at approximately the same speed. I'm in the middle lane and have to exit 14 mile away.

I hit my blinker, check the mirror (good) check the blindspot over the shoulder (PARANOID) begin to speed up and move over. Get over but a couple of times I noticed the car behind is awfully close thinking it was in my blind spot.

Before this I had an Isuzu Trooper and an Avalon which both were great visibility and bigger all in all. Compare to them this car seems tiny. Maybe this has something to do with it.

I appreciate you response.

I never fully trust the side mirrors 100%.....I always checked them, and then shoulder check just to be sure.....never know when idiot drivers pull up next to you and drive on your blind spot......

Unless you're zipping along the traffic, then you basically have a better idea as to what cars you just passed, and what cars are zipping along with you, etc.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Crontab-I know EXACTLY how your friend feels. I have an Eclipse GT also and trust me, there is NO WAY anyone can see over their shoulders. I am VERY paranoid when I drive this thing. I cant WAIT to get rid of it and get my IS.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I agree about the large blind spot. I've found myself almost changing lanes into other cars numerous times in the 2+ months I've had my IS. I'm used to driving other small cars (like a Grand Am GT), and SUVs and I've not had this type of problem before. I've learned to pay extra attention when changing lanes to the right. Unfortunately there's not much that can be done to remedy this.

Rob

------------------
2001 IS300
Spectra Blue Mica/Ivory
LS, LD, HH, SR, 17" wheels
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
4.7L, QuadraDrive, UpCountry
Patriot Blue, Fully loaded

·
Registered
205 Posts
You're not alone, I too find it disconcerting. I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet but it doesn't have anything to do with the size of the IS (don't have this problem in my RX-7). A little to do with paranoia, for sure. But mostly it's the drivers seat in relation to the c-pillar (I check morros and look back before changing lanes). Something like that.

Guess I'll have to jump in the car and do some more field research.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts