Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
My passenger side door will not lock either by key fob or manually. Mind you this is the left side door since I have a 99 altezza. Was wondering if anyone would know what it could be? I’ve tried looking at other threads but everyone else seems to be able to lock theirs manually..

· Registered
952 Posts
Physically pushing the key into the door lock and turning it. Key fob doesn’t work either.

When inside the vehicle I can put it into “lock” position but it’s not actually locked
Did you manually slide the lock button into lock? if that works then something is loose or your actuator is bad.

· Registered
'01 IS300
126 Posts
Ok. Push the actual lock on the door, and see if it locks. If it does, then something is holding back the actuator, or the solenoid has failed. If it doesn't lock, you'll have to pull the interior handle off and see if the actuator rod has came loose somehow, and check and see if the actuator still works.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you manually slide the lock button into lock? if that works then something is loose or your actuator is bad.
Manually sliding the button into lock works but doesn’t actually “lock” it.

Also when pressing the lock button from the driver side it goes into “lock” position but isn’t actually locked

· Registered
952 Posts
Manually sliding the button into lock works but doesn’t actually “lock” it.

Also when pressing the lock button from the driver side it goes into “lock” position but isn’t actually locked
you should do a video of the issue. Most lexus has a safety mechanism built in where you can't lock the door with the door open or when the key inside the car without the car on.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you should do a video of the issue. Most lexus has a safety mechanism built in where you can't lock the door with the door open or when the key inside the car without the car on.
Alright so in this video I try to use the key fob to lock the passenger door but to no avail.

Next I try to manually turn the lock over but that does not work as well.

i lastly try to lock the passenger door from inside using the lock button, you can see the switch going into “lock” mode but I go out of the car and you can see that it didn’t actually lock. Video

· Registered
'01 IS300
126 Posts
Did a bit of digging, and found this thread.:

Didn't have much to do with your problem, but this picture may help point out the culprit.

I believe what is circled in red may have stripped threads. It's allowing to lock to move, but not actually pulling tension on the cable inside the sheath, and not locking the door.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

· Registered
'01 IS300
126 Posts
Alright so in this video I try to use the key fob to lock the passenger door but to no avail.

Next I try to manually turn the lock over but that does not work as well.

i lastly try to lock the passenger door from inside using the lock button, you can see the switch going into “lock” mode but I go out of the car and you can see that it didn’t actually lock. Video

all that... and you still didn't touch the actual lock. lol.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lolol I tried multiple times just not in the vid 😭

Did a bit of digging, and found this thread.:

Didn't have much to do with your problem, but this picture may help point out the culprit.

I believe what is circled in red may have stripped threads. It's allowing to lock to move, but not actually pulling tension on the cable inside the sheath, and not locking the door.

View attachment 143596
Thanks a bunch for your help , will look into the thread

So can we rule out the actuator being faulty since the physical switch moves but just doesn’t lock?

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah. Pretty much. BUT, you're going to have to pull the door card off, and try and activate the lock to see if my theory is correct.
Sorry little late update for you guys,

So I took off the panel to try to diagnose the problem. The threads rods were all connected properly and none were stripped. From taking off the panel I could see that the door would actually lock it’s just that the rod that unlocks the car would stay engaged when opening the car. So I just sprayed some penetrant oil in there just to clean it out and it seemed to do the trick. The passenger door now locks and unlocks great. Just must’ve been some dust or build up in there that needed to be tended too. Thanks all for the help!

· Registered
'01 IS300
126 Posts
Sorry little late update for you guys,

So I took off the panel to try to diagnose the problem. The threads rods were all connected properly and none were stripped. From taking off the panel I could see that the door would actually lock it’s just that the rod that unlocks the car would stay engaged when opening the car. So I just sprayed some penetrant oil in there just to clean it out and it seemed to do the trick. The passenger door now locks and unlocks great. Just must’ve been some dust or build up in there that needed to be tended too. Thanks all for the help!

AWESOME!!! I'm glad it was an easy fix!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts