Lexus IS Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Alright so I finished assembling both sides of the car and plan to torque everything down tomorrow. When the steering wheel is straight, both rotors tilt slightly outward because of the shorter inner tie rods, so if I can make it to the alignment shop in one piece, hopefully they’ll be able to adjust the car accordingly.

My inner tie rods and lower ball joints were way over due and had a lot of play in them, I’m glad that I finally got around to doing this.

Just to make sure I have the torque specs right, isn’t the castle nut for the lower ball joint 91, the other two bolts are 83, and the castle nut on the tie rod end 40?

F2391513-7786-43DF-85D9-9F1E3BFABB41.jpeg
77ECEEB6-D583-4505-B1BA-E415A0D993FA.jpeg

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Yeah i know, just never seen one. They were common on the older cars we had, but all the replacement parts we always sealed units so no greasing later on. Newer cars didn't even have that option which why i'm surprised to see any now.
I know what you mean. They have gone to replace not maintain. They make more money that way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Alright so I was in the process of greasing my lower ball joints and noticed one of them already had a small tear in it so I ended up getting some mevotechs as they seemed like better quality.

Additionally, I was scrolling through eBay and found some steering rack spacers that are supposed to increase steering angle. I found one thread on this but was interested if anyone else had an opinion because I’m thinking of getting them.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Alright so I was in the process of greasing my lower ball joints and noticed one of them already had a small tear in it so I ended up getting some mevotechs as they seemed like better quality.

Additionally, I was scrolling through eBay and found some steering rack spacers that are supposed to increase steering angle. I found one thread on this but was interested if anyone else had an opinion because I’m thinking of getting them.

Any thoughts?

They work. Just do not get to big of a spacer. I do not remember the size. The big thing is to look at tie rod bind in a full turn.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
They work. Just do not get to big of a spacer. I do not remember the size. The big thing is to look at tie rod bind in a full turn.
Yeah the only thing I’m worried about is not using the locking washer. Using loctite was recommended but I feel like that would make it a pain to remove the tie rods later when they needed to be replaced again.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Well I got the mevotech ball joints today and they looked inverted when I put them on. I figured they needed grease but there was no zerk fitting on it, so I just took off the boot and put grease in there but it still doesn’t look right. Is this normal?

• 25B926E0-5FFF-4165-9F2C-12B22D6B293C.jpeg

·
Registered
789 Posts
As long as the lip on the blue rubber sits against the flat face on the hub when you assemble it it should be fine, if there's a gap the water and crud can sit there and rust. I had a gap on the upper ball joints i got from one place, took them back even though they thought it was fine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You’re over thinking it. As long as the boot is not ripped and it’s snug around the stud it’s good to go. Most newer sealed type ball joint aren’t greaseable because they’re constructed with polymers.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Alright well here’s what it looks like torqued down to 91. There’s a noticeable gap is that okay
C85889F2-442B-4846-8B04-2430D78A4F77.jpeg

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well due to the shorter tie rods I can’t get the car to drive. If it moves the tires drag. I don’t know what to do now

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So you can not turn the tie rods out enough?
No there is a significant difference in length between the two different inner tie rods. I don't have enough thread on the inner tie rod to be able to safely rotate the outer tie rod out to match the overall length of the previous ones. Is there anyway I could adjust the steering rack? I would much rather like to have the shorter version of the tie rods because the longer ones are much more rare and I'm afraid I may not be able to find them if I want to replace them in the future.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
No ajustment on the rack. The only adjustment is in the tie rods. You could maybe see if you could find a longer adjuster sleeve. To space them apart more. But I do not know if they make one or where to start looking.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
No ajustment on the rack. The only adjustment is in the tie rods. You could maybe see if you could find a longer adjuster sleeve. To space them apart more. But I do not know if they make one or where to start looking.
I’m just gonna go through the return process and hope for the best. I have some new tie rods on the way that should work.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts