Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. So I recently got my car aligned at Firestone after replacing my springs and struts and they suggested that I replace my inner tie rod on the drivers side. Considering they wanted $250 in labor and $40 for a single inner rod, I decided I would just do both the inner and outer tie rods for both sides as well as the lower ball joints myself. I found a nice kit that included all three of these for $70 by TRQ and was wondering how good the quality is. I did a good bit of research and have not found any negative reviews, though I found that most people went with Moog replacement parts I believe. I just want to make sure these would be just as good as OEM or extremely close. I didn't really want to go with Moog because there is a lot of debate on whether or not their quality has gone done over the years.

Here's the Link:

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I recommend Mevotech’s Supreme line. Bought a few arms and all were pretty nice. Granted I pressed in my own spherical bearings/poly bushings but still wouldn’t hesitate to throw them in a daily as bought.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recommend Mevotech’s Supreme line. Bought a few arms and all were pretty nice. Granted I pressed in my own spherical bearings/poly bushings but still wouldn’t hesitate to throw them in a daily as bought.
Alright I’ll look into those as well, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay so I ended up going with the TRQ kit and finally got around to getting the inner tie rod off and I noticed that the new inner tie rod is roughly an inch shorter than the old one. I read KcWANABE's old thread (2001 is300 inner tie rod size) and figured I unknowingly got the wrong one. Is there any way I could use the shorter one? The tie rod end and lower ball joint that are also in the kit are synonymous with the old corresponding parts. If not, is there anyway I could convert the car into using these shorter inner tie rods considering the later part of 01 until 05 is300s use them? Thanks for any help

·
2,990 Posts
Okay so I ended up going with the TRQ kit and finally got around to getting the inner tie rod off and I noticed that the new inner tie rod is roughly an inch shorter than the old one. I read KcWANABE's old thread (2001 is300 inner tie rod size) and figured I unknowingly got the wrong one. Is there any way I could use the shorter one? The tie rod end and lower ball joint that are also in the kit are synonymous with the old corresponding parts. If not, is there anyway I could convert the car into using these shorter inner tie rods considering the later part of 01 until 05 is300s use them? Thanks for any help
I think it is a trade off. If memory serves. Later inner with later outer is okay. Later with older outer not okay. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think it is a trade off. If memory serves. Later inner with later outer is okay. Later with older outer not okay. But I could be wrong.
Hopefully that's the case as I don't want to have to return the whole kit. Is there anyway I can find out for sure if that would work? Also, if I wanted to have a rough alignment just so I could get to a shop and have a real alignment done, how far would I screw the outer tie rod onto the inner, considering the jam nut on the older tie rod is positioned much farther outward than the new tie rod would allow because of the difference in lengths.

Thanks for the quick response man.

Edit: Now that I think about it, using the "later inner with [the] later outer" may work because on PartsGeek (where I initially got the kit) they said it would work for all is300s, and when I looked for the inner tie rod alone (part number ev179 specifically) is said only 2001 is300s. I am still unsure though; logically it does not make sense to me because wouldn't I seriously be altering the steering range if the tie rods on both sides came out an inch less than before?

·
Registered
856 Posts
as long as the tie rod is screwed on at least 1.5 x thread diameter it should be fine, mosre would be better for adjustment.

You should be able to measure off a fixed point on the chassis to the ball joint with the old one on, then adjust the new one to the same measurement and be good enough to get you to the alignment shop assuming its not too far away.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While putting everything back together I noticed this small screw on the lower ball joint that I partially screwed in, what is it’s purpose? I couldn’t find any information on it and I don’t know how tight it should be.
F7F24BC2-A9CA-4AAB-8B14-F3983371C00D.jpeg

·
2,990 Posts
While putting everything back together I noticed this small screw on the lower ball joint that I partially screwed in, what is it’s purpose? I couldn’t find any information on it and I don’t know how tight it should be. View attachment 134429
Grease fitting goes in there. You need to swap it for a grease zert and grease the joint before use.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also now that I have one of the new inner tie rods on one wheel is straight while the other is slightly turned.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Interesting, I've never seen one with a grease nipple on it before, I've heard about them but never seen on one. I was thinking it might have been a locking screw to retain the joint or something like that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright so I g
Interesting, I've never seen one with a grease nipple on it before, I've heard about them but never seen on one. I was thinking it might have been a locking screw to retain the joint or something like that.
Yeah I find it interesting as well considering everything was supposed to be pre greased. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts