Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a long time lurker on here for about a year; finally in January of this year a I bought a used 01 IS300...149k miles. Just like everyone says, it runs great...engine is strong, smooth, and quiet and the trans shifts nice and crisp. Really nice car for being 13 years old. The point of my post is just to talk about a few things...basically, my right rear parking brake blew up on me a few days ago. I had been noticing a rattle and scraping sound but could only hear it with the windows open. Well, the other day I was pulling out of my work parking lot, heard a very loud pop, right rear wheel locked up, then finally let loose. I could at least drive home but there was a lot of rattling going on. I had no choice but to bring it to lexus since they could get me in first thing the next morning and I needed my car and/or a loaner for several days. $650 bucks later and I have myself a brand new right rear brake assembly...the whole thing. They had to gut the whole e-brake, disk, and drum set up in back...they said it was installed wrong or worked on previously and wasn't put back together right...it basically twisted and finally blew up on me. At least it's fixed with genuine Lexus parts...I don't mind paying good money for brakes especially considering the car runs so well. They also gave me a 2014 IS250 FSport to cruise around in...damn nice car! Funny thing is though; it's just a bit quieter than the 300 but not any quicker. Goes to show how well made the IS300 is; I can't stop looking at the F-Sport though...gorgeous car! Oh, and my exhaust is on it's way out too but I've found a good exhaust that I'll be installing.

Anyway, great forum and great info!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Jesus, $650! Oh well, I'm just happy I'm not at the mercy of the dealer.

You can drive without an E-brake, particularly if you have an automatic. In a similiar situation, I would have gutted the E-brake, put it back together, then ordered parts and driven on it till the parts show up. You actually have two brakes in the back. The conventional brakes that stop the car and the E-brake that lives inside the rotor.

Wonder what you'd think of the IS300 if they'd given you an IS350 loaner? Almost 100 more HP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, $650 hurt although I checked around with other mechs and they said they couldn't do it for much cheaper. Unfortunately, I needed a car and Lexus gives a loaner for how ever many days I need it. I would also love to wrench on my car but I don't have time nor the advanced skills for that...if I were ten years younger I would definetly go for it but not now (two kids, job, house). Anyway, I'm just glad it's done right.

I was just thinking today about how crazy fast that 350 must be...and yes, I'd be singing a different tune if they gave me that...there's a reason why I'm in a 250.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts