Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I...for some reason have begun to really appreciate the look of dark wheels on most all colors of cars... not that i dont like a little bling & polished lips... but the Visual impact of a Black wheel/tire combo on a nice light colored car... makes the wheels & tires look HUGE exspecially if they are already 18-19's & very aggressive... & it is the one scheme i prolly HAVEN'T tried on my car yet sooooo

I have had these classic JDM spec Volk Evolution4 forged monoblock wheels for a few years...

they are awesome wheels, classic design, really light weight, forged, perfect offset and size (18x9 f&r w/46 offset) also..

i really love them & have used them for street, for show & won 1st place several times, & for track as well... lately they have become my track day wheels...

I've decided these should be black henceforth...........

it was these Vs my Volks or Hiro's which are virtually perfect still...& again, this is a temporary fix untill i can peel the tires off & send these to the powdercoater... the paint will chip off soon enough.....

so 1st I scrubbed these clean with a scouring pad to scuff the paint and scrub off the brake dust etc etc.... then i washed them thoroughly with soapy water and a brush then rinsed them clean and dried them with the compressor

Then I started taping off the tires... I simply ran tape around the beads & around the outside of the tire shoulder...

Once taped off I began to shoot adhesion promoter on EVERYTHING inside & out.....

Ok can we agree...shooting paint cleanly & evenly on a mesh wheel IS A BITCH hehe... fuking things... I had to shoot from EVERY gotdayumn angle to make sure i got the paint into the sides of the mesh but NOT so much that it pooled & ran on the faces of the mesh.....

sheesh...it basically takes LOTS & LOTS of light coats & remembering where you started & try to overlap a bit i started on the inside & worked my way around from every angle & then did the outside....I used a turn table also... cheap one from target like for a TV or VCR etc.... it makes it SOOO much easier to hit the damn things from several angles by just spinning it!....

Ok,... SEVERAL coats later ... i did the exact same thing with semigloss clear... i wanted to try something a bit less glossy on these.... but i coated them LIBERALLY... at leat 3-4 coats of clear....

These wheels come with a BIG ASS center cap it threads into the wheel & locks down to cover the lugs etc... these caps were a bit beat up so I stopped using them...I made some OEM Lexus RX300 centercaps fit into the centers and of course i needed to paint them to match so i stripped off the Chrome "L"Logo and shot them to match.

I used a universal metallic black paint from Duplicolor it is basic automotive paint...

Then for a little fun i shot the INSIDE of the barrels with the same metallic blue I used on the rotors etc...

& that was about it ... peeled the tape off wiped them down & mounted them

POPPA LIKE!!!

now i wonder how those damn clean ass Hiros would look on my car in all black....:jawDrop: :p :confused:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Looks good, also another to prevent spray on the tire is to use playing cards or as I used when I did mine cheap baseball cards lined between the rim and tire.+rep for this and your brake job

·
Premium Member
5,207 Posts
The metallic blue inside the barrel is a nice touch. Looks good as always, edgy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
good job on those wheels..I am planning on painting my rims too. I have hyperblack wheels and the paint is starting to chip. What kind of paint did you use?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
good job on those wheels..I am planning on painting my rims too. I have hyperblack wheels and the paint is starting to chip. What kind of paint did you use?
+1 on what kind of paint you used (Dupli color?) and did you use paint stripper to strip the original paint? I am planning to paint mine as well.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes duplicolor black universal metallic.... i did not strip the paint... i just scuffed everything up with an abrasive pad.......

you might want to do more for a nicer result... but these are my track wheels & i will prolly just get them Powedercoated soon... i just HAD to see what the black would look like & i had an afternoon to spare.....

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Ed, would you mind doing me a favor and taking a pic of the front wheels against the inner suspension upright? I never would have thought u'd be able to fit that wheel with that backspacing on there.

Looks great again! So, when we doing another track day ;)

O...and where did your front flare go?

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Looks HELLA clean!

I just picked up some similar Volks, they're basically the Volk Evos too, but mine are the 3 piece and are labeled as VRX-10s, same look as your wheel but has rivets and that weird center cap covering the lug nuts.

Funny you posted this, I was going to do the same color scheme but I was going to do the lip a gloss black then do the centers a flat black. Other folks are telling me to color match the lip GGP but I'm still leaning towards the black scheme. Looks more agressive in my opinion.

+Rep for some nice looking wheels, it gives me a good idea on how mine would look.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thansk folks...

the " Look" is temporary... ;)

i am waiting on my fav. paint shop to open up, they are so busy.... but i have a couple new hoods awaiting custom paint...
.. two sets of new fenders ... one set is a surprise & one set is going to be more a work in progress with custom venting & incorporating the front R-specs
...some new sides I am getting painted so I can swap things around
...new rr bumper w/lip awaiting the car to do custom molding for the dual exhaust...

it will be a big job... i am stalling also as i am considering a color change...

but this makes it livable for me for a little while...

PAul i will try to snap a pic 4 u.. .what do you want me to focus on...? fender clearance.. or upright clearance... i can tell ya right now the upright clearance is 2-3 m & my tire has ever so slightly brushed the upright inner side due to flex i assume..... i have seen the marks on the upright but i have never seen any marks on the tire side wall...

i will tell you this also... my Volk GTV's are 2 piece & have the EXACT same size & offset.. but the fronts will slightly touch the upright unless I use a 3mm spacer under the frt wheels... for some reason the actual measure ments are not the same even tho the wheels are both supposed to be
18x9x46.... one more reason I love these ol'skool VOLK wheels

Ne1 know who does "cheap" powdercoating in the nothern LA/SFV area...?

·
Domestic Reaper
3,025 Posts
^^^ That looks sexy dude. I loved lips the same color as the wheel like on the work emotion xd9's. That looks amazing!!! I did my stockers black and have the same exact look as you. Matte Black 5Zigen's on a silver car with black and cf accessories but not over done! Post pics up when finally powdercoated.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Nice. Did you tape off the spokes from the outside and inside while painting the inside of the wheel?

Get those aligned since the weight of the wheels changed after painting, unless you can obtain tires easily and/or like wasting tread life. haha

+rep

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice. Did you tape off the spokes from the outside and inside while painting the inside of the wheel?

Get those aligned since the weight of the wheels changed after painting, unless you can obtain tires easily and/or like wasting tread life. haha

+rep
i actually made a huge flat ring out of cardboard... it rested just at the base of the "spokes on the back side and fit around the central hub so i was able to spray the barrels with out overspraying onto the front of the wheel or the back side for that matter...

& i assume you meant "Balanced"... the slight weight change is actually quite negligible... i didnt do 20 coats..... & th weight difference after paint wouldnt affect alignment... only balance-Vibration.... & they do not vibrate at all at well over freeway speeds.....

Once i have them powdercoated tho... i will definitely have every thing rebalanced etc.... i'll have to since I will have to pulloff/remount the tires etc from the wheels for PC...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts