Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did my headlights the color of my car with just a touch a blue metal flak in it, so when u look at it it changes color and the HIDs look so much bluer at night

i wanted to do the tailights the same color of my car with some blue metal flake also

the color is the charcoal color, i have had nuthing but comments on the headlights

but i have heard the tailights are harder to do is that true?

·
Master Troll
468 Posts
the taillights are INSANELY hard to paint. I did it on a spare pair, and lets just say that spare pair is still in the garage.

The headlights are glued together, you just heat them up and pull them apart.

The taillights are plastic welded together. if you put them in the oven, they melt. :eek:

so you actually have to either get a specially shaped heat knife to slowly break the plastic weld, or you have to use a dremel or some such tool to cut them apart.

the clear plastic is VERY brittle, so you'll crack it if you dont pay special attention.

If you don't have spare taillights, i'd recommend getting some you can destroy before you try your own. every once and a while some will come up on ebay for cheap...

·
Vendor
4,610 Posts
I found that by using the diamond wheel dremel tool, it is easy to get the tails open and create a surface that can be re-attached when you are done. It also has a minimal kerf, so you don't remove too much material. It is all about patience :) Painting should be no prob as long as you clean them with Simple Green and scuff them with 1000 grit. If you need and other advice on the cutting PM me.

Fig

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.