Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, so like a lot of IS drivers, I have decided to paint my stock wheels. I just bought a new set of tires so I don't see the point in dishing out cash for new wheels w/ tires, plus I have another projects for my car before new wheels.

I will now do my best to write up my own method (I know there is a lot of users who have done their own...sorry)

Parts and Supples:

LPS Orange Degreaser
Scotch pad
MEK(Paint remover)
80, 160, and 320 grit sandpaper - Might add higher grit as well

Total Cost - $Free...where I work keeps butt loads of these in stock

Unfortunately I had to buy the Paint, Primer and Clear coat. Still getting off cheap. :cool:

Step 1: Soak wheel with LPS and then scrub the wheel down with the scotch pad. I personally made sure the wheel was cleaner than I ever cleaned it. Washed off residue.

Step 2. Spray MEK on wheel, then start sanding with 80 grit sand paper. (Maybe overkill with the MEK) Though it worked wonders. Wash off.

Step 3. Use 160 grit paper and MEK. Right before finishing I roughed up the wheel with 80 again and then went back over with 160. Wash off.

Step 4. Wet sanded with 320 grit. Washed off and then sprayed MEK again and wiped the wheel down. Wash and Let Dry.

Pictures are from and IPhone...not the best but atleast something to look at.

Attachments

Reactions: chrisridebike8

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay...today the sun is FINALLY out and we have a good temp. Time to paint the rest of the wheels

In between painting I can finally clean my wheel wells and everything else I can get too that is "gunked" up

Thank goodness my work is stocked up with degreaser and work rags :bigSmile:

Will update with some new pictures as the day goes on - even though my car is shit right now until I get the bodywork and repaint done. (Near Future)

Going to be a hardworking good Sunday

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in Morgan City man. Its about an hour and half from Nola/Mandi

You joined in '03 but only have 7 posts? lol

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha...yeah, I've always liked the IS, but only now do I own one. Lots of lurking.
sweet dude. Whats year/color do you own? Anything modded yet?

·
Registered
779 Posts
He has an 02 IBP.

Looks like you did a nice job. Pics when u get them on the car!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Will do man.

I have one more coat of paint and then clear coat to put on and then I'm all finished. Pics will be up soon as possible.

·
Registered
61 Posts
sweet dude. Whats year/color do you own? Anything modded yet?
05 GGP 5spd. The only thing done to it besides the Lexus all-weather mats is the Valentine1 hardwire with concealed display I did this weekend. Not major planned for it for awhile since it still has around 38K miles on it. I want to enjoy it stock. I do have an aFe drop-in coming this week since my paper filter is trashed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
05 GGP 5spd. The only thing done to it besides the Lexus all-weather mats is the Valentine1 hardwire with concealed display I did this weekend. Not major planned for it for awhile since it still has around 38K miles on it. I want to enjoy it stock. I do have an aFe drop-in coming this week since my paper filter is trashed.
man...I still wish I would of bought a manual. Oh well, I love it regardless, but mod wise I have done very little in 3 years compared to most people. I really have to many hobbies that cost loads of money (wakeboarding, boats, tattoos...and expensive vacations lol)

this is the year though I put my car first...well behind my daughter anyway ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
man...I still wish I would of bought a manual. Oh well, I love it regardless, but mod wise I have done very little in 3 years compared to most people. I really have to many hobbies that cost loads of money (wakeboarding, boats, tattoos...and expensive vacations lol)

this is the year though I put my car first...well behind my daughter anyway ;)
I hear ya. I did my stint with mods in my 05 STi and 06 Evo MR. Fun, but also sometimes a headache and certainly expensive.

I also want to plan on doing things that will make serious power, so eventually I'll probably get to a lower boost turbo system in order to keep the GE stock as well as the W55 stock or perhaps going to the W58 at some point.

If possible, I'd love to see if I could run DS in local AutoXs, but haven't found anything here.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well my work shipped me to another location so I am not by my car and not able to take pictures of the fully completed rims on the car yet. I will be home on Thursday so hopefully sometime that day I can get some pics up. I will also be putting my new Poly bearings on my LCA's :cool:

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I removed the center caps, popped off the "L", then cleaned and sanded. Throw 1 coat of primer and paint on. I think the caps came out nicely

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just the face...but I cleaned up the whole rim really good. I am thinking about painting the inner wheel chrome to match the lugs and emblem. I know it won't show to much but I think it might help the black "show a little more, that and I'm going to be painting my calibers a metallic silver. I might just end up doing the wheel the silver as well.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
New pictures at the top of the thread. I know the pictures aren't the best, but I don't care, so you can flame if you want too.

Painting headlights this weekend, and putting on bushings tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.