Lexus IS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. now, before you get all up on this fourm...hear me out. yes, i did search..but, didn't find what i was lookin for. anyway, i have an auburn sky pearl IS, and i wanna paint the side markers the same color. but, i have some questions. first off, will light show through after they're painted? and, if not, can i buy some clear ones, and will the light show through then? and, second, is it worth the money? i haven't gotten a direct quote, but, i just wanna if you guy think this is worth the money of getting it done professionally.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
so you want to get a professional to paint a 3 sq. inch piece of plastic? if you're into waisting money i'd say go for it. i guess you could crack em open and paint just like head and tail lights. Yes light will shine thru but it will be very little if any, but you can paint the reflector like i mentioned above. I guess i'd suggest to get clear's and paint the inside, but you can do something like that yourself.

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Depends on the paint that is used on them light willnot shine through them

NO you can not open them like the heads and tails they are sealed with heat and basically melted together :lol:

Just send them to me, I will smoke them call it a day sheesh :lol:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
have a shop do them....if you need anything else painted. Its a 2 layer process, I forgot what the painter told me he did to get mine to be able to still be funcitonal, check my other other thread for pics of them on and off.

no shop will paint just those 2 sidemarkers, prob costs more in electricity then what they could charge u to paint them

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
Its a 2 layer process, I forgot what the painter told me he did to get mine to be able to still be funcitonal,
I am curious on that as well, I usually just do primer and paint

But a lot of people want them functional soooo if you could find out for me :bigSmile:

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT WRONG...

sorry but THANKs for playing & we have a SPECIAL consolation prize JUSST for YOU ;) :bigSmile:

really tho ..... My side markers ARE painted and the light DOES shine thru them... it is all in the prep & how THICK you apply the paint!

I had my shop LIGHTLY paint the markers & then clear coat them... they look perfect & match my body color perfectly day or night.. .BUT at night or dusk when my lights are on the PIAA LEDs i installeds DO light up and GLOW thru the paint so technically I am partially LEGAL even tho the reflector part of the markers is toast with the paint on them... ( Hmm "Partially legal"....... is that kinda like Partially Pregnant or Partially dead.....? hahahaha)

really tho, you can lay a thin coating of paint on these & then clearcoat them or not but the lights inside WILL make them glow at night so they do what they are supposed to ...

Regarding using clears or OEM... dont bother gettign clears if you are painting them to match....

go to www.paintscratch.com order the proper paint code for your car color & shoot them yourself... you can also order Clear from them as well & do it all yourself...

I actually shaved all the molded in lettering off of my stockers sanded them smooth & & shot those...this was so i would still have the yellow & red colors up front IN CASE that matters to the dick head cops out here...

remember to use a very thin light coat or three of paint & you will be fine it is thin enough to let light thru & stil llook solid.

I think I need to post pics of mine at night & day for examples....

Damn yet ANOTHER cool little thing I did years ago I forgot to post a thread/ DIY on on......

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
remember to use a very thin light coat or three of paint & you will be fine it is thin enough to let light thru & stil llook solid.
Figured it was something

I could just adjust my air gun, instead of going full tilt :lol:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
edgy said:
Regarding using clears or OEM... dont bother gettign clears if you are painting them to match....
So i shouldnt buy clears i should just use the oem lenses?

IMPRIMIS said:
Just send them to me, I will smoke them call it a day sheesh
hold on there trigger :p

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
thksdad said:
hey guys. now, before you get all up on this fourm...hear me out. yes, i did search..but, didn't find what i was lookin for. anyway, i have an auburn sky pearl IS, and i wanna paint the side markers the same color. but, i have some questions. first off, will light show through after they're painted? and, if not, can i buy some clear ones, and will the light show through then? and, second, is it worth the money? i haven't gotten a direct quote, but, i just wanna if you guy think this is worth the money of getting it done professionally.
1. Depending on how much paint it will shine though. The car has no detection system for bad bumper lights so you can remove them no problem.
2. Is it worth the money? Make up your own mind. You might want to consider getting a quote first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.