Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i plan on doing this and in my search to find info on doing this i came across some interesting older threads that will help others that want to do one of these three but dont want to search
Head light
1) Pulling front bumper off and removing the head lights (words)
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?p=3265923
1) doing the same thing, but an older video i can across(video)
Here's the Prelim Video[/size]

Fog light
i have not found a diy on this

Tail light
1) pivtures on how to open and paint your tail lights
http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=202095&highlight=tail+light

i know this info can be found throughout the website but i though this maybe helpful ,esp the video i had never seen berfore tonight, not the best quality, but easy to follow along with.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i need an opion on how to do the fogs, i dont know if i should paint it like this the difference is the first housing is painted only in the front and the second and third pic the whole housing is painted

or like this

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
I agree , paint those mugs!! They look incredible painted, as soon as it cools here in az im painting mine, today it hit 113 degrees :blush:

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
do you have to dremel the fogs or do you put them in the oven like the headlights and they unclip?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Romyo247 said:
do you have to dremel the fogs or do you put them in the oven like the headlights and they unclip?
good question i would also like to know this, i searched and am still searching but cannot find it, also here are some more stolen pics to go in my thread
a disassembled headlight:

the piece you paint

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
the tails you dremel, but be patient, its possible to open them in one pass, but dont pry or anything...they should fall off thats when you know you're through...and if you HAVE to clean the inside of the lense i would suggest just using some air blasts and a terry cloth as not to scratch them...the inside of the lenses reacts weird to products like wax, alcohol, etc...just be careful...and WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
sounds good..rather do that then dremel...im not very patient haha...thanks

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
hope this helps..trying to get blue box =D

dude trust me, fogs are a sinch! took me like 10 minutes total work, excluding the baking..its simpler than any of the other lights..

here:

1.) u bake the fogs at 250degrees for about 7-9 minutes.
2.) try to pry out the lense, see if the silicon is melted/stretchy enough for u to pull apart the lense; if not, bake until you can pull it apart.
(NO NOT REMOVE ANY OF THE SILICON FOMR THE EDGES OF THE LENSE OR HOUSING)
3.) metal colored plastic houlsing will be attached to the clear lense. u can easily pull it out. then sand with about 800+ grit sand paper, under the faucet, wit water running over...just sand til its not all shiny, etc.
4.) make sure its $100 dry, then spray paint the part that u sanded.
5.) wait 10 minutes, and repeat same, with same LIGHT coat. itll drip if u do it.
6.) drive a day without fogs, and let the painted lenses dry for a day.
7.) put the painted reflector plastic thing back onto the lense, and bake the LENSE AND THE HOUSING for another 7 minutes at 250 degrees or so, until the silicon is shiny, and sticky.
8.) then pair the lenses back with the housings, and push them back to where they fit liek normal.
(popping noises are normal, its the sound of the air bubbles getting forced out)
9.) after u push them all back together, and tight as u can, just let it sit maybe 10-15 minutes and u can mount ur housings back onto ur front bumper.

feel free to sport ur new fogs.. =D

-Aaron

Reactions: JKSlexus

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
uh ok, why would you wetsand a part that you're going to paint?

hit it with some 400 grit, wipe off the dust, and then paint away

reflectors should be dry enough to reinstall in about 3 hours

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
I DUNNO, but azn mojo told me the way to do it, and im sure he is one of the best housing painters on this forum.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
yeah? hasn't he made some leaky ones recently?

just because you advertise all over the place doesn't make you the best painter on the forum

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
...who did any advertising? im just trying to help this guy who wanted to know how to do the dfifferent housings...what? now suddenly theres only ONE way to paint housings? so if u wetsand its the end of the world, and causes leakages? wtf does leakages have to do with me bringing up wetsanding? im just syaing, i got my help from him, and mine have been fine.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
i'm saying there is exactly no point to wetsanding the housing when you're just going to paint over it.

the only reason to wetsand is to clean up the paint as you're finishing it up

there is no guarantees about who's the best painter. that's what i meant.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts