Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gauging response on a painted engine cover and the smaller cover more toward the front of the car (cant remeber the name :blush: ). They will be painted a dark pearl blue to match the car. Probably will change the emblem on the engine cover to a BP one as well.

Yea or nay and why please.

Thanks for the input.

Reactions: peelsIS

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
post pics if anyone has done this particular color.

Reactions: chrisridebike8

·
Registered
853 Posts
i say do it, def. compliments the car if you do it right, i just did mine a few weeks ago, heres some pics of the outcome:

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, both of those look amazing. tokoyama, im stealing your srt intake tube.

+1 to both. im def going to do this now.

·
Registered
853 Posts
word of advice though, i actually had to redo the engine cover and the ecu cover because i got over zealous with the clear-coat (i wanted the cover to be smooth as hell) and decided to try and make it shinier by spraying more coats a day after, resulting in the previous day of clear-coat to shrivel up and crack, so dont go over board like me, your gonna end up kickin yourself in the balls

·
Registered
853 Posts
here's the picture of that nightmare, kinda hard to see but if you look closely you can see the cracks

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Did you guys just use engine enamel on top of a primer gray and then clear? Or did any of you have an actual body shop do it for you?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
k thanks for the info. i can see the cracks. ill be careful.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Did you guys just use engine enamel on top of a primer gray and then clear? Or did any of you have an actual body shop do it for you?
I used duplicolor engine enamel black high gloss as a primer, once that dried with the help of a hairdryer i went over with a couple coats of the color, and then i used engine enamel clear coat to finish it off, all paint products i used were duplicolor

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alrite thanks

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I say go for it. It does look pretty clean.

Does any one know if any sanding is required? Or should i just clean the crap outta them primer and spray?

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you want the paint to stick to the cover it could use some sanding, or you can use some plastic adhesive. But, for sure use some primer it will give you a more smoth surface.

·
Registered
33 Posts
would somebody post or PM me the "proper" proceedure to painting the covers id like to work on doin this to my IS. thankx all n it looks great, how heat resistant is the paint?

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
This is why it sucks to have a black car. That looks sooooo badass... Armor all works the same for me. Bummer.

·
Registered
853 Posts
This is why it sucks to have a black car. That looks sooooo badass... Armor all works the same for me. Bummer.
doesn't have to be black :lol: my car is DWP and i painted mine metallic red, looks fine to me

1 - 19 of 19 Posts