Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have silver emblems and I want to paint them black. Can I just buy some high temp. engine paint and paint a couple coats over the silver, or do i need to sand and primer it before? Thanks

·
Registered
13,954 Posts
plasmarat said:
Hi all, I have silver emblems and I want to paint them black. Can I just buy some high temp. engine paint and paint a couple coats over the silver, or do i need to sand and primer it before? Thanks

Just scuff them up with a 3M scuff pad, some primer, and paint (high temp is not needed)

and then clear

I paint these things all the time for people

·
Registered
13,903 Posts
Here's a thread I made when I did mine, it includes pictures: http://my.is/forums/showthread.php?t=252708
I got a 3M scuff pad, a bottle of Testors Black Pearl Model paint, some Krylon clear coat, and some 3M Trim & Emblem adhesive. I got everything at walmart for about $15. I ended up having to do it twice to get it right. They didn't come out like OEM black pearl emblems, they ended up matching my Black Onyx almost perfectly.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
206 Posts
just an fyi i just painted mine last night and used hobby window tint like for r/c cars..etc and worked great. nice glossy finish like black pearl and dark smoked(not black) color...just another idea

1 - 6 of 6 Posts