Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont really like the look of a hood thats a different color as my car. So im asking if it is hard to paint over a carbon fiber hood to match my stock color? Or would i be better off going with a fiberglass hood? Either way i would paint the hood yellow. I want a more aggressive look with a vent but i dont know which way would be cheaper. The front of my car got in an accident and the collison center at lexus gave me an estimate of $1500 to replace the hood and grill. So i might as well replace the hood and grill with a better looking one. thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I thought there's "yellow color Carbon Fiber".. or that's only for fake CF? I dont know... :-?

·
Runs on Rice
2,900 Posts
1500 for the hood and grille!! damn.. I wish I can get that much from my collision center.. :x

anyways.. there is yellow REAL carbon fiber hood... but obviously, the color doesn't match exactly... it's a stale kinda yellow.. kinda like this: but a little lighter...

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
cf hood = around 350-400
grill= 50-180

i have a solar yellow with a vis oem cf hood.. looks mean as hell.. non-painted of course.. 8)

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
you can paint over carbon fiber, just make sure the body shop knows how to deal with it, they have to properly prep the hood with sanding and primer i'm sure, then paint and clear coat

as for the yellow cf hoods, i think it's just the actual kevlar or weaves that is yellow, not the entire hood

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies. So does anyone actually have a yellow based cf hood or know where to find one?

·
Runs on Rice
2,900 Posts
LikWid696 said:
thanks for the replies. So does anyone actually have a yellow based cf hood or know where to find one?
A member has one, her sn is "ladyvenom". She doesn't get on here much lately.. but pm her anyways...

·
2,033 Posts
ya I have a yellow and black hood but the best way to discribe it would be to call it a very light green untill the sun hits it then it is yellow :D but mine looks like the stock hood

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
IS300AllShow said:
ya I have a yellow and black hood but the best way to discribe it would be to call it a very light green untill the sun hits it then it is yellow :D but mine looks like the stock hood
the yellow is kevlar, right? i am pretty sure that the yellow/black combo hoods are cf and kevlar.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
dpatterson069 said:
the yellow is kevlar, right? i am pretty sure that the yellow/black combo hoods are cf and kevlar.
- Yes, its KEVLAR...

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
IS300AllShow said:
Can you post some pics of your hood if you can? Where can i find one of these hoods for a reasonable price?

Also, if i decided to have a cf hood painted, how much do you think it shoud cost for a body shop to paint? I know ill need hood pins for a cf hood, are they visable from the outside of the hood?

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
LikWid696 said:
IS300AllShow said:
Can you post some pics of your hood if you can? Where can i find one of these hoods for a reasonable price?

Also, if i decided to have a cf hood painted, how much do you think it shoud cost for a body shop to paint? I know ill need hood pins for a cf hood, are they visable from the outside of the hood?
it would proly be around 150-250 to paint the hood.
i dont have hood pins on my vis oem hood. the latch is oem, so no need.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
xjayx300 v2.5 said:
Fig said:
dut said:
dpatterson069 said:
- Yes, its KEVLAR...
thank god everyone doesn't think there is any such thing as "yellow CF" :shame:
"carbon" is BLACK
Bullshit, carbon is some fat white guy....

hahahhaa.. that has got to be the best quote of the year..lol.

·
2,033 Posts
LikWid696 said:
IS300AllShow said:

check your PM for the pics and the rest of your questions seem to be answered

and yes it is Kevlar that is yello and carbon that is black.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts