Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My calipers are rusting a bit and my next project is to spray paint all the calipers. Im no car experts but is it something an ordinary guy can do? I know how to remove the wheel/rim and everthing but should i be caution when using the calipers paint.
Also, if you guys have ur calipers painted, please post some pics. Also i've seen some really nice ones with the "Lexus" on the side.
Please give me some directions if you could.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Here are some pics of mine:

It's definitely something you can do yourself. Just make sure you spend the extra money for a good kit. The G2 kit is really good. You can find it for like $40-$45... I even saw a guy in the For Sale forum with that kit in red and the Lexus decals together for like $50.
http://my.is/forums/f99/g2-gloss-red-caliper-paint-flatline-lexus-brake-decals-white-50-00-a-333162/#post4923803

That kit comes with everything you need to clean the brakes and apply the paint. Why is that kit so good? There is a chemical additive that you mix in with the paint that causes it to harden into a ridiculously strong shell. This is important because you don't want that stuff to peel off and chip like some of the cheaper kits I've tried in the past (ie Duplicolor). You can pretty much even bang that stuff with a wrench and it will stay on.

A couple of tips I'd give to you:
1) Pick up a smaller super fine paint brush before you start. The kit comes with one but it's kinda bulky and doesn't fit into the smaller areas very well. It would be easiest to paint the calipers if you took them off the car, but I'm way too lazy for that and you can get the same look without the extra trouble.
2) Paint your hubs too. It looks way better that way IMO. You don't want to have nice shiny painted calipers and rusty looking hubs peeking through your wheels.
3) Make sure you clean off the brakes very well. Use that entire can of brake cleaner if you need to, and get a small wire brush to remove any excess rust. That rust won't let your paint bond very well.
4) The kit recommends you mask off certain parts of the brakes, but it's really not necessary. Just be careful around anything that is shiny metal or that looks like a screw.
5) Wear clothes you don't care about. I can't see that stuff coming out if you get it on you. It takes like two weeks just to get it off of your hands / out of your fingernails.
6) This kind of goes without saying, but make sure you have jackstands or a lift to keep your car up on and make sure you have another means of transportation for at least 24 hours. That's about how long it takes them to cure fully.
7)*OPTIONAL* Have someone else help you. It goes so much faster and if you start on opposite sides of the car, by the time each of you gets around the wheel is ready for a reapplication (you want to do like 2-3 coats).

Hope that helps! I've used that kit on 3 cars, including my Lexus, with great success. Go git em!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
it's a really easy mod to do that will make a big difference in the appearance of you IS. good luck.

·
Registered
15,872 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
WRXtranceformed gave some great advise. I'm not too good with a brush, so I'm going to go the spray paint method.

The method is the same, but instead of the G2 Kit, you use high heat black duplicolor spray paint and high heat duplicolor clear coat. 2-3 coats of each can at the specified interval at the back of the can. You'll also have to do some extra prep work (mask off anything you don't want the paint to get on).

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
honestly, use the G2 paint. lasts wayyy longer than spray can. and with the hardener, it also resists chipping more. i just did a set this weekend for a local girl who biught an is300, and i cant reitterate how easy it is to do when using the g2 paint system

·
23,115 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
i thought that the G2 kit was easy, too.

if you're keeping the stock rotors, you might want to paint the hubs at the same time. i used black rustoleum high temp and it looks alot better with the rust gone.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I used the Duplicolor spray paint and the brush on types and both of them are chipping off. I plan to repaint them with a better quality paint like the G2 kit you guys mentioned. Does anyone know a easy way to remove the exisiting paint on my brakes or do I have to break off the paint piece by piece?:confused:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I used the brush on paint. It's a lot stronger and easier/cleaner to put on. You dont have to worry about masking off the entire wheel well and worry about overspray all over your car. For the vinyl decals, I got them from MotoGFX - Quality Custom Vinyl Works

(Pre-drop)

Reactions: WRXtranceformed

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Definitely go with the G2 set like everyone says. My calipers look exactly like WRXTransformed and I've had them painted for over a year. You can get the G2 kit for $35.14 SHIPPED and you will be glad you did.

I've ordered mine from these guys twice (had to have my calipers replaced) and they've been great.

G2 Brake Caliper Paint Kit: Hubcaps Plus After Market Parts and Accessories For Cars, Trucks and SUVs
Nice, +rep for a good find! I'll have to try them out if I need to repaint calipers at some point :bigSmile:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Looks good! :approve:

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Looks good buddy! It was easy wasn't it? =)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts