Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what type/brand of paint did everyone use to paint their brake calipers. Did any use rustoleum? Did any one get them powder coated?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I priced out getting them powder coated. If you can remove and disassemble them yourselves, you're looking at around $100-$150. If you pay Lexus to remove them, it'll be around $500

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone,

My name is Jason. I own a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse. My friend Sam has the IS300. I can give you the best of both worlds for painting the calipers. My friend Sam used the G2 Folia Tec Caliper Paint (red) and it came out great on his spectra blue IS. I love the color contrast and the paint went on smooth and easy. No probs what so ever. While I was comtemplating on whether to do mine or not, I decided to and was gonna use his paint but it hardened.
So I went ahead and used color matching spray paint (VHT) that he was gonna use for his car on mine. Sprayed paint into a cup, poured into the cap of the can, and went painting with a brush. After multiple coats and 24 hrs of sitting it came out AWESOME! I love the look. *Suggestion!!!* GET RUBBER GLOVES LIKE YOUR DENTIST WOULD WEAR. When you spray that paint into the cap or cup it gets all over your hands, its horrible. Also, really put alot of coats on those calipers with the spray paint. Less is required with the G2 paint. Hope this helps!!!

-Jason

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I used VHT

pic #2
looks great, sprayed the paint into the top and used a brush aswell.

I used gasoline to clean up.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I used the G2 paint on my calipers. It is available at AutoSupermart.

My car is graphite so I went with silver and added black Lexus emblems. You can see some pics in the IS300 album at Pic Albums

One mistake I made was to do the painting when it was too hot. I started pretty early in the morning but it was well above 100 by the time I was putting the last coats on - I think it would have ended up looking smoother if I had waited until winter to paint but I was impatient. Live and learn...

Terry

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: TSoich ]

·
Registered
548 Posts
So you guys with painter calipers used paint brush instead of paint spray, yes? Do all of you took out the calipers before painting or just painted it on the spot?

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I painted on the car just took of the wheels. If U take that calipers off dont bother with the paint brush.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I painted mine on the car. Just removed the wheels, brake pads and pins that I didn't want painted. Taped off rotors and everthing else that was left and painted with a brush. If I had the time and alternate transportation I would have probably pulled the calipers off the car and sent them out for powder coat or spraying. I recall someone saying that a friend had theirs nickel coated (dipped?). I'll be that looks great - maybe next time.

Terry

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
TSoich can u get pickel of the dipped ones? I cant imagine mine looking any better then they do now.
Sentinel

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Originally posted by M2kEclipseRS:
Hey everyone,
My friend Sam used the G2 Folia Tec Caliper Paint (red) -Jason
just so no one gets confused... G2 and foliatec are 2 different companies...

G2 is also known as German performance engineering...

·
Registered
548 Posts
JordanK,
how many times did you need to apply the paint? and, do we need somekind of "Base paint" to apply it first and then the paint it self, and finally the "finishing" coating?

·
Registered
55 Posts
mystic said:
JordanK,
how many times did you need to apply the paint? and, do we need somekind of "Base paint" to apply it first and then the paint it self, and finally the "finishing" coating?
yeah - metal primer as your base coat - then your caliper paint - and lastly clear coat if you want a nice glossy finish unless your paint is already glossy

·
Registered
641 Posts
I went to NAPA got the caliper paint in the color i wanted, can of degreaser, and a can of clearcoat. Covered everything except for the caliper with packing paper ( the brown kind that moving companies use ). Sprayed the degreaser on the caliper, let dry. Sprayed the paint on the caliper, let dry. Sprayed the clearcoat on the caliper, let dry. Applied decals. It's very very easy to do this. Here are pics.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/629763/2

Total cost was about $24 dollars for the degreaser, paint, clearcoat. $20 dollars for the decals.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
18 Participants
pistolsmk
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing