Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did plenty of searchs and found this page > 4Runners.org - Poor Man's Black Pearl Emblems
I wanted to repaint my emblems Black Pearl since my front has a bunch of chips from bugs
I bought the Testors Black Pearl Metallic Paint and Glossy Clear Coat

I painted the emblem and covered it in clear coat. For some reason it looks a lot black then the ones I bought from the dealer
I am totally lost now, Is this not the right Paint ? The Black Pearls emblems I have now (From dealership) look kind of Gunmetallic with a gloss rather than black with a gloss

I want my emblems to look like this >

Has anyone had the same results or is it just me
Please Help !!!
:(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Am I the only to try ?
:confused:

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
i've had good results with VHT niteshades spray tint. if you put it on over the chromies it lets enough shine through, yet gives it that black pear/gunmetal tint. do a little more searching, there's a number of threads on this throughout the inside/out section.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've had good results with VHT niteshades spray tint. if you put it on over the chromies it lets enough shine through, yet gives it that black pear/gunmetal tint. do a little more searching, there's a number of threads on this throughout the inside/out section.
I did quite a bit of searching around. I did notice that some people said niteshades would make it closer to real BP emblems. I might give that a whirl

Can any one that has done this method post some pictures please

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
this pic isn't too close but you can tell the emblem isn't chrome anymore, it blends perfectly w/the grill

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
here's another

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
here's another
Yeah its tough to see. Did you use the NightShade method ?
Can you reply with what you did in detail. If I can get enough info from people I can do it my self then post a detailed DIY for people

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Yeah its tough to see. Did you use the NightShade method ?
Can you reply with what you did in detail. If I can get enough info from people I can do it my self then post a detailed DIY for people
yes, that was the niteshades. basically it's just like painting anything else. the 1st time i did it i didn't really prep the chrome surface, and it ended up chipping. so the 2nd time i got all the paint off, then scuffed the emblem w/a 3M scuff pad so the niteshades would have a better surface to adhere to. then you just mist it with a few LIGHT coats, wait a few mins between coats. then spray it w/your clear and you're done.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes, that was the niteshades. basically it's just like painting anything else. the 1st time i did it i didn't really prep the chrome surface, and it ended up chipping. so the 2nd time i got all the paint off, then scuffed the emblem w/a 3M scuff pad so the niteshades would have a better surface to adhere to. then you just mist it with a few LIGHT coats, wait a few mins between coats. then spray it w/your clear and you're done.
Thanks for that info. I have the real BP emblems and they look more like a gunmetal with a polish then the Testors Black Pearl Metallic Paint which looks black. The front one needs to be redone. Wonder if the NighShades stuff is available at local auto stores like Advanced Auto

How close is it to the real thing, Black Pearl Emblems ?

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
Thanks for that info. I have the real BP emblems and they look more like a gunmetal with a polish then the Testors Black Pearl Metallic Paint which looks black. The front one needs to be redone. Wonder if the NighShades stuff is available at local auto stores like Advanced Auto

How close is it to the real thing, Black Pearl Emblems ?
it's hard to find at local stores, usually i get it on ebay. as far as painting emblems go, i would have to say niteshades is closer than any other paint to looking like real BP's.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I ended up getting some off eBay. Is there a recommendation on a clear coat?
I was gonna use a High temp engine enamal clear coat

·
Registered
4,888 Posts
I ended up getting some off eBay. Is there a recommendation on a clear coat?
I was gonna use a High temp engine enamal clear coat
any clear should do, i just used a duplicolor clear from advance auto

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
VHT Nightshade is the way to go. I tried it with the Duplicolor Metalcast smoke, but didn't get a chance to comapre it to a real Lexus/Toyota black pearl emblem, I have lost the custom I did so no way of knowing.

I'd stick to the VHT method. It's the clsoest from what I've seen in person.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts