Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was quoted 2200.00 today to replace the front bumper cover with OEM and repaint the hood and blend the fenders. I think this is waaayyyy to much. I'm trying to get rid of rock chips. Suffice it to say, I would never pay this much anyway seeing as I was quoted 1200 by the same guy for a rear bumper cover and rocker panel.

I'm thinking "I have painted 3 cars, I could do another if I just bought the tools..."

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
916 Posts
hmmm...I paid like $465 for a BRAND NEW OEM LEXUS FRONT BUMPER + Paint + Painting my RMM Lip..... There was no blending but I don't see where they came up with the other 1800 bucks to blend?!

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I could detail the quote. Most of it was for labor. I think they overestimated the number of hours necessary to sand and prime the hood etc...Considering they would be doing no repair on the bumper cover, i can't really see the 1800 being labor + paint(?) maybe I just don't know enough about the industry. I've done plenty of blocking and priming myself, and I just can't get 2200 to come close to a hood and bumper paint. Especially with no color change .

Hell, for 2200 I can buy a CF hood from L-Tuned, a bumper, and some paint.

Thanks for the feedback.

DB

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
i wouldn't bother blending the fenders unless you are painting them due to rock damage also.

sounds way too expensive

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i wouldn't bother blending the fenders unless you are painting them due to rock damage also.

sounds way too expensive
Yeah, its the rock damage issue. We used to live about 30 miles from SLC and my wife drove the car everyday on a highly traveled highway. The front is just peppered, and I hate to see it like that. I took the chip repair route at first, but there are just too many of them. It really won't look much better w/out prep and paint. I just need to find a good guy that will let me prep everything and let him spray it.

Man, 2 G's? I though I could get a show quality color change for 4-5k. Must be wrong about that :)

·
Registered
916 Posts
My local body shop was going to sand my bumper down for the rock chips but eventually sold me one at their cost around $250.....OEM...

·
Registered
133 Posts
hmmm...I paid like $465 for a BRAND NEW OEM LEXUS FRONT BUMPER + Paint + Painting my RMM Lip..... There was no blending but I don't see where they came up with the other 1800 bucks to blend?!
Thats about what lexus said it would be for me. So may you are getting way over charged. Just call lexus and they will help you out

Reactions: zelakil

·
Registered
3,290 Posts
Sounds like they are mistaking you for a women and are taking advantage of you....Lol! J/K. No, but that sounds like a rip off to me. Had mines done on my DC2 for under $1100 and that was trying to match it with the Black gold pearl from the factory.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
buy a jdm front and rear bumper then sell your usdm bumper lol
Got it done right

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, thanks for all the input guys. I won't be going there. I worked a good summer doing basic paint and body, and I know this can't be right. I just wanted some other opinions to reinforce my decision. Hopefully, by the end of sumer, I will have some cash for the JDM covers or something else. I might just buy an HVLP turbine and do it myself. I think I can get away with doing two bumper covers and a hood in the garage. I have some rocker panel damage as well, but maybe I can straighten it enough to put sides on and cover it up. :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts