Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got two good hunks out of the paint already, one over the headlight on the apex of the hood and another just inside the brake vent scoop [thing]. Is it just the fact that any dark object seems to just scream out on the yellow or is the paint soft? What can I do to prevent, fix, etc.? I'm not crazy about car bras but do I have a choice? Will waxing help any, I'm planning on applying Mother's phase 2 and 3.

Are the color sticks out yet for the IS? Ford provided one when we bought our Windstar, should Lexus?

------------------
2001 Lexus IS300
Solar Yellow Exterior
LSD, Black L/E
Moonroof, wheel locks, trunk mat

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
One of the reasons that I am buying an IS300 rather than another type of car is that I believe that Lexus uses superior quality paint. I would be shocked if people have paint problems on these cars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think with the paint in the late model Toyota / Lexus cars, they've had to go thinner for EPA reasons. I've noticed it particularly in the 'flat' paints, such as the Black and Red Celicas and the Yellow IS. They've had to lighten up because of environmental regulations, is whatI've heard.

My GT-S (Black) gets hairline scratches and pebble chips on the front pretty damned easily, and the only thing I can do to protect it is a 'hard' type carnauba mixed wax. That fills in the tiny little scratches, and protects a bit from abrasion, but the pebble issue still gets me. As much as I dislike car bras, I just might get one for my IS.

Hopefully the metallic / pearl type paints are less prone to this sort of thing. I'd invest in a Yellow bra and monthly waxings in your case. It'll look good, I think.

[This message has been edited by CelicaY2K (edited July 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
424 Posts
I am still waiting for IS300. However, from what my hands can feel on the paint, the paint on IS300 is either better or equal to the ES300 that I have. Color does matter, I guess. So this might not an apple for an apple comparison.

I have been using zymol wax which has v. high content of carnauba. And I find it helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a clear bra. They're kinda pricey, and I hear they're hard to put on. One outfit on the web (www.xpel.com) sells them for $280. I'll never get another vinyl bra. They look real tacky, and if dirt gets under it, it can scratch up your paint. They can also vibrate at very high speeds.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I didn't think it was big enough of an issue to bring up but since you guys mentioned it....I found noticable chips all over the front bumper of the blue IS I test drove. The car had only couple hundred miles on it and is driven primarily on highway (though probably at over 100 mph quite often) and expressway.

·
Founder
8,708 Posts
My car already has a gouge in the front bumper from where it got hit by a license plate (!). Fell off the car in front of me and bounced off the road into my bumper and then who knows where. But it's plastic up there...

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
7 Participants
tony
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing