Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started wet sanding the trunk yesterday, and realized that it is a single stage paint that’s currently on the trunk. As I was wet sanding and polishing, the paint came back quite nicely except for a few scratches from neglect in care and using the trunk as a shelf.

I know there has been some bodywork completed through the years from a couple of low speed bumper contacts, but was the IS300 a single stage paint in black when it rolled off the line?

·
5,562 Posts
I started wet sanding the trunk yesterday, and realized that it is a single stage paint that’s currently on the trunk. As I was wet sanding and polishing, the paint came back quite nicely except for a few scratches from neglect in care and using the trunk as a shelf.

I know there has been some bodywork completed through the years from a couple of low speed bumper contacts, but was the IS300 a single stage paint in black when it rolled off the line?
No, Someone just went that way to save money. If the paint was intact. You could have wet sanded and cleared over the single stage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @01 SolarYellow - seems to be a topic of debate, with many opinions.

This is good news to me, I’ll start touch ups and then prep entire sections/panels for clear.

Unfortunately the paint has been neglected, and there is some paint damage in areas, but it’s able to be saved.

No, Someone just went that way to save money. If the paint was intact. You could have wet sanded and cleared over the single stage.

·
Registered
6,193 Posts
I have detailed two 202 Black Onyx IS300's (mine included), and both were single stage. My polishing pads start turning black anywhere I use them on my car. I've searched this topic in the past, and I think I remember that black IS300's always had a single stage paint job from factory.

Reactions: _zaclemore

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@rvalero that appears to be the case.

Started some touch ups and wet sanding to polishing on the drivers quarter, found out pretty quick it’s single stage there too!

May need to sand it down from the A-pillar to the rear bumper, re-spray and clear - I started to burn through in a spot,

I’ll try and touch it up, blend it and see if it works. If not I’ll just start tackling the whole body.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
380 Posts
I have detailed two 202 Black Onyx IS300's (mine included), and both were single stage. My polishing pads start turning black anywhere I use them on my car. I've searched this topic in the past, and I think I remember that black IS300's always had a single stage paint job from factory.
Confirms my suspicion. I also had this happen.

·
Registered
2005 Lexus IS300
482 Posts
Black is def single stage. When i was polishing up a few of my friends cara the black cars always stained my pads. Never had issue polishing them. Just treated it a little bit different than my solar yellow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I forget if it applies to all years but for a fact the 01 IS300 white and black were factory single stage. all other colors were double.

that being said. Where to get U202 Onyx single stage paint thats decent?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you’re looking to repaint at @Leshii413 I’ve always had pretty good experience with Valspar & PPG. There are other products and primers I use, but for finishing, these are easy to work with and readily available at most bodyshop supply places.

For basic chip touch ups, I was surprised that the Duplicolor ASF0104 touch up paint pen/brush is perfect for 0200 Lexus black. A wet 1500 to a wet 2000 sand followed up with a polish, glaze and wax makes the touch up disappear.

I could post a few before/after pics with touch ups if needed on the weekend?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Touch ups have begun……….. doing this in small stages - drivers side front and rear are ready for the first stage of polishing……. Wet sanded only so far, first pic is after filling in all the chips.
(sorry, no before pic on this side, I will on the passenger side).

Polishing to commence in the morning

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

1 - 11 of 11 Posts