Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering an IS300 Silver w/black leather.... I think the car looks great, and the prices for them right now you can't beat!!!! Question: I have a seen a couple of threads where people have mentioned problems with their paint chipping on the front bumper and hood very easily. Do you think it is an issue with the paint process they use, or is this maybe from just everyday driving that this occurs. What do current owners think? Is there anyway to prevent chips from happening, with the exception of using a bra? Thanks... :D

·
8,880 Posts
Clear kit, such as XPEL is your friend.

The paint is weak. There is no way around it. There was some talk about EPA standards. Some did mention generally weak paint on Japanese cars. Many will blame it on the way body is designed to have low drag.

Fact is, local bodyshop's paint holds much better than OEM.

I use Colgan Custom bra. Debris hitting front end of any car tend to do damage even to strongest paint, especially at high speeds.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
my hood has really visible chips :pissed: and it's only like a month old

eventually I'll use the rockchips as an excuse to get a CF hood

·
Registered
346 Posts
Basically the factory paint job is too thin. Eventually we just might have to fix that problem w/ a better quality & thicker aftermaket paint job for the front end.

·
Registered
511 Posts
vlad_a said:
Clear kit, such as XPEL is your friend.

The paint is weak. There is no way around it. There was some talk about EPA standards. Some did mention generally weak paint on Japanese cars. Many will blame it on the way body is designed to have low drag.

Fact is, local bodyshop's paint holds much better than OEM.

I use Colgan Custom bra. Debris hitting front end of any car tend to do damage even to strongest paint, especially at high speeds.
vlad_a is right. It's a combo of the shape of the car (kinda like a plow barrelling down the freeway) and the softer paint manufacturers have to use now. At least that was according to the body shop that painted my hood.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Re

Me too, my 02' has less than 20K and the the hood is all chipped up.
I'm getting estimates to get it repainted. Preferably with (2) base
coat/clear coat application in PPG or Dupont paint.

-Yamaha Dave

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeah, I have the clear bra put on too and it did wonders for the car. Now whenever I try to clean it, all the stuff wipes away and not a single chip since then. If you're planning on getting a clear bra, maybe just do the entire thing w/ headlights, fogs, trunk area, keyhole areas, tank door area, side mirrors, and door guards as well. The place I did it at sorta threw it all in eventhough I didn't ask for it but now I'm appreciative of it all.

Ck

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just hit 65,000 on mine (sales consultant, obviously on the road a lot!). I have so many chips and nicks it isn't even funny. Just got a quote to have the bumper, hood, both fenders and a pillars repainted at a touch over $1800. :eek:

The higher the milage, the worse it gets I am afraid. :-?

Where is a good place to get that Xpet clear kit? Obviously after I get my car repainted this fall I would like to get that put on. Where can I get it, and what is the price on it?

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts