Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brand new pearl white is300 with the lp package. I put 200 miles on it today and i came home and washed it because it was . As i dried it i looked and saw an unevenly paint job on the side skirt and a bird took a dump on the hood and it stained the paint. what should I do?

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
The paint on the IS is crap!!!! Its way to soft which allows bugs to chip it(I know about the limit on emmisions and the need for less of it, but come on). My SBM has all types of black specs under the clear on the hood. I have come to the conclussion that this was my first and last Lexus vehicle!! It may be an eye-catcher, but its cheaply built and all that catches my eye anymore is all the flaws in it. Dont get me wrong, I really like my IS, but if I had a chance to do it again I would not!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Cheaply built???? *LOL*

While I agree with you on the paint issue, this has been something discussed many times in the past. The paint is a bit soft for just about anyone's taste as chips and nicks happen fairly easily. With that said, I don't quite see how the paint issue reflects the overall quality of the entire interior, exterior, and drivetrain of the vehicle as a whole.

But... to each his own. Go trade it in if you're that unhappy and displeased.

*shrug* My two cents.

Scott.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Fellas any car will chip paint when stones hit it... stop whinning get a ferrrai and drive it for a while and see how many chips it will have my friend has a yellow one that looks like swiss on the front nose so dont complain... just through a bra on.... I had my IS for 6 months and only have one chip because I was tailgating a gravel truck

cheers!

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
uhm...first of all, softer paint is due to regulation and enviromental issues. secondly, the unevenpaint on the sideskirts is to cause the paint from chipping! do a search on these topics before you guys go wild with your ideas and theories. every car will get paint chips, it's not something you can prevent from happening, if you're gonna use a car its going to show sign of wear, like every thing else.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah, I see what you guys are saying. I guess I should have clarified of what I meant to say.
All I was trying to say is that all the little imperfections in my car overshadow everything that makes this car kick so much a$$! Especially this paint problem REALLY REALLY REALLY pis$es me off!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Originally posted by Gennady:
Yeah, I see what you guys are saying. I guess I should have clarified of what I meant to say.
All I was trying to say is that all the little imperfections in my car overshadow everything that makes this car kick so much a$$! Especially this paint problem REALLY REALLY REALLY pis$es me off!
Imperfections are enough to piss anyone off. I've got little chips, too. I bought a bottle of GGP touch paint and that has definitely helped. Short of getting a bra to cover the front end or that weird 3M stuff... there's a not whole anything can be done. The only other advice I can possibly give is STAY BACK!!! Don't ride ass... especially behind SUV's and pick up trucks.

Scott.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Dude! That's like almost every second car here in Texas!

I need to try that touch paint. White chips look ugly on GGP!! And I refuse to put the bra on my IS.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Originally posted by Gennady:
Dude! That's like almost every second car here in Texas!
Do you honestly believe Minnesota is any better?
All those damn snobs in their preppy SUV's kicking up rocks and dust and small pebbles that damage my paint! Grrr!!

Definitely get some touch up paint. It's a quick fix that helps.

Scott.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Dude chips happen. It is part of driving a car. If you have a darker colored car the chips will show easier.
Secondly, bird shiznit will stain any paint no matter the quality or color unless it is wiped off right away. Just a fact of nature that birds have acidic turds.

And I do agree that the paint is too soft compared to other cars or even other Lexus models. Sucks!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lexus_IS300 wrote,
... softer paint is due to regulation and enviromental issues.
If it is due to regulation/environmental issues, then are all other cars made currently also subject to the same regulations and have paint problems?

lisnup65,

Just curious, when was your car manufactured, or when did you take delivery of it?

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
Our paint problems are common with all Toyota vehicles. I was checking out other web-sites and I really only see those with Toyota products bitching up a storm. Since the cars are not built in the states or Mexico they have different guidelines to follow than most others.

I took delivery in March and it was built in September.

As for Lexus build quality, THEIR IS NO ABOVE AVERAGE QUALITY!!!! I spend my time taking vehicles apart and putting them back together as part of my job and the Lexus materials are actually cheaper than most. I dont mean to burst anyones bubble, but all we paid for was service. A trade in will come in the future and I'm sure that the next over priced vehicle I buy will not meet expectations either. I can just say that as for quality Lexus has lost a future purchaser. I will continue to drive and enjoy my IS until another vehicle grabs my eye as this one did.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I trade my 1995 M3 for my IS, and by far the BMW paint job is much better...I love my IS but I am a little upset and disapointed in the quality of the whole car...I had a full stereo and video system put in a few weeks ago and I have seen my car with the complete interior taken out all the way down to the metal and i'll tell ya there isnt much to the IS very little sound insulation . I just came from where I had the stereo put in and just spent all day putting Dynomat and foam in the whole trunk, trunk lid etc...and also the gas filler door to ...boy does that like to rattle ( already had it fixed once by the dealer.) alot of hard plastic against metal...I thought that with the so called Lexus quality I wouldnt have to do it but I guess I had to. If your going to consider doing a system in your car dont be to surprised on the quality of the materials. I am going to have a chin spoiler put on and paint the front end and put on the Stone Guard, this is the only way to protect it I guess ( no wonder the dealer pushes this Item at the time of the sale! ). But I own it, and will enjoy it for two years and get something else but I dont believe it will be a Lexus...

Waiting for the new H2 to arrive

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
Originally posted by GSXR600:
Lexus_IS300 wrote, If it is due to regulation/environmental issues, then are all other cars made currently also subject to the same regulations and have paint problems?

lisnup65,

Just curious, when was your car manufactured, or when did you take delivery of it?

paint will chip period...go to car forums, there will always be picky owners that complains about it, from M3s to Supras...go ask bodyshops, they will tell you, pebble chips are unavoidable, you drive your car, expect normal wear, that is normal wear.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know paint chips are a problem that is hard to avoid but I have more chips in one month on my IS than 3 years with my z28 and 2 years with my gst. I wash my car twice a day to keep the bugs off and the paint chips I am seeing are not of the norm. The paint on this car sucks plain and simple.

·
Registered
5 Posts
yo! to the dude with the blue is with paint probs. I live in fla also with a solar yellow in the first month I had more chips on it than I did on my 89 prelude that had 300,000 miles and drove the same exact roads. Your right man the paint sucks I was already asking for touch up paint at my 5,000 mile service. now the leather on the steering is cracking, do you have that?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Only other problem I had was paint chipping from the front bumper. They repainted that and when they brought it back I came out 10 seconds after porter dropped it off and had a flat tire. They are replacing the rim and tire when I get back from vacation.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey, do you guys ever think about getting the 3M clear protective vinyl cover? It uses adhesive and says it's safe for paint that has been cured. It's like .8mm thick I think. I might be incorrect, but it's worth looking into.
http://www.stongard.com/sgcontent/default.asp

this site has a large list of cars that they have pieces of vinyl "precision" pre-cut for a lot of different car models. of course they also recommend professional install.

I mean, ~400 bux for a kit is pretty good for some protection that's cheaper than a 3000 dollar paint job done right.

I only have one gripe about it, they expect professionals to get bubbles during installation, so they have this needle thing that they use to pop the bubble, and u know how plastic vinyl is when u poke into it, the marks pretty much disappear which is good, but what I'm afraid of is that they'll puncture the paint or make scratches into the plastic light covers.

Any scratches that poke through paint to the sheet metal of the body is a possible point of corrosion. so if u guys try it out, be sure to tell the rest of us about it and how happy you are about it.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
I have the kit installed and it does help, but if the paint is soooo soft to begin with they should have put the kit on the car as stock. If a good installer does the job for you, their will be no air-bubbles to pop with a pin.
I agree that all paint chips!!! It is just a factual observation that the Lexus(Toyota) paint chips alllllllllloooooooooottttttttttt easier than just about everything else. My last ride had 5 noticable chips with 4years of driving and 41K on the odometer. That vehicle seen alot of highway and rough driving. The Lexus in 3 months has at last count 14 chips!!!! No highway, no gravel roads, to behind dumptruck senerios. I had to pick a bug out that impregnated the paint. Maybe this is not the case with all IS's, but to ignore this and say that all vehicles are this way is just plain ignorance!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts