Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or does this car get an way above average number of paint chips. I've had mine for 6 months and it looks like I follow rock trucks every day. Do you think lexus might "recall" their paint? Is there anything we can do?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I have the bra it retails at the dealer for about $130 clams but it is worth it and it looks pretty mean on solar yellow not bad at all it also has the "lexus" logo imprinted on it. I throw it on when I hit the highways.
it's a two piece, one piece for the hood the other piece for the bumber. I use just the one for the hood sometimes becuase it's very simple to put on when I am in a rush.
RESULTS: only one hardly noticeable rock chip on my hood - happened the only day I did not put the hood bra on while driving on the highways.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I did the xpel, and I'm very satisfied so far. I took it on a 1000 mile trip just the other day. Nothing touched the paint, and the bugs washed right off the stuff.

Best thing is, you don't ever remove it, and you don't see it unless you're looking for it. (on silver at least).

$150 for bumper and mirror. That includes installation.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem is I already got a bunch of chips so I don't want to use xpel. I guess I'll get a bra. My real question: is it unusual to chip this easy and should Lexus be reponsible to solve the problem??

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Paint chips suck. I got a BIG one on the driver side quarter panel (about the size of 1/2 a penny all the way down to the metal).
A friend of mine that does body work and paintless dent removal fixed the chip and 2 dents for a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
hurricane, my girlfriend asked me the same thing. She was was more annoyed and upset about all the paint chips. It looks like I am on a gravel road everyday behind a constuction truck. The dealer told me that it's not their issue and also, this chips are not covered under warranty.

·
Useless
5,346 Posts
LexArkana,
That sure doesnt sound like a friend to me!!!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had my front end and hood done today. There were about 15 'spots' where the paint on my Black Onyx IS needed touch up. I was charged by the dealer 55 dollars to do the touch up work. He did a fantastic job and there is no indication of any chips on my car now. In light of the cost of this job, I purchased a bra for the IS at a cost of 183 dollars, including installation. Up close, the bra looks kinda cheesy and the quality of the material is not that great. It fits well, and from a distance looks very tight. But I wish I had looked at other after market bras before commiting 185 bucks to the dealer.

Ron

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Originally posted by lisnup65:
LexArkana,
That sure doesnt sound like a friend to me!!!!!

He also detailed my car. He offered to do it for free. I gave him a hundred to help him out. He is married and has a kid to take care of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts