Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
did lexus just use really thin paint or something. I have lots of paint chips on the hood of my car, I also have them in other places but not as much as the hood...
some spots have chipped paint all the way to metal, some just appear to be thin layers that have chipped off...

any comments on what is going on.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yea, I have a lot of chips too. The biggest problem is the dump trucks that transport rocks in Florida. Half of them leak rocks out onto the highway.... :( Terrbile trying to get by them.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I heard for environmental reasons a component was removed from "modern" paints. That's why you see so much chipping on the front of our cars. I've heard of stories of people getting their cars repainting... and noticing that there's weren't hardly as many chips and scratches on their car.

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
its called "Eco-friednly, lead-free paint"

lead presence as nasty as it is, makes the paint more "durable" . our ultra fragile paint job leaves a LOT to be desired.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Would you repaint your car with "tougher paint"? Even if it hurts our dear friend the environment?

·
Garage Pit Crew Chief
5,631 Posts
yes I would. If i can scratch my car when WASHING it , thats when you know that the paint needs to be re-done.

However, I dont believe in wasting the $$$ that would be necessary to re-paint my entire car. So, like most, I'll just learn to deal with it, and bitch about it here :lol:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
how much $ to just get the hood repainted to match the APS...in a more duarble paint that will actually match

·
Registered
999 Posts
Repaint + Clear Bra = your friend :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
join the club. i got a few chips as well. no big deal until i cant stand it anymore.
but yeah i should have gotten a clear bra...oh well

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
sclawis300 said:
i have chips all over the hood, not just the part that is covered by a bra
Ha! Me too! You practically need to have a custom wrap of the clear film over the entire hood! We've been complaining about this paint issue on the IS since it came out. And I have to agree...when you can damage your paint just by washing it carefully, there's a problem! Two bucket method, multiple microfiber towels, multiple coats of wax, etc...eventually always have to bring out the random orbital buffer to repair the paint.

Proud Member of the Paint Chip Society since December 2000 :pissed: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
Is it the use of lead-free paint by manufacturers a requirement... or are they just trying to be friendly to the environment???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts