Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in an earlier post a pretty cool looking lexan Hood cover. It looks crystal clear and fits over the hood like those half bras. It seems similar to those that are manufactured for Pickups. I think this would Solve alot of the paint chip issues. Unfortunately I forgot what thread had the link to the Japanese Site I saw it on. It was a list of parts for sale in Japan. I think This would be pretty cool. I dont trust that 3M stone guard. This looks easily removeable if need be and, it's crystal clear lexan. I saw matching headlight eyebrows as well. (clear) very nice. If anyone can find the link please post. Also does anyone know if we can buy that item in the states. Thanx.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The "solution" is going to have to come from Lexus if in fact there is a "problem". Personally, I'm not dropping a penny on the many paint chips my car's gotten since June because I'm fairly confident that there is a paint issue.

My car looks like it's 2 years old and other than the other day when the hick in his dump truck let loose with his bowling ball sized auxilary anti-nice-car-windshield-smashing- pebble-supply I've not encountered any differences in my driving environment enough to quantify the damage my car has.

Screw Scotchcal, screw an F-150 style bug deflector, Lexus needs to figure something out. The Solar Yellow seems to be even worse mainly because the under coat is apparently black and any dark color sits out like a freak giant zit on your forehead... there's no denying a spot on Solar Yellow. I love the color, but black is almost easier to take care of.

Off to get some cheese for my whine.

-F8L

·
Registered
344 Posts
Any idea how these things stay on? How much?Pix would be nice. Like to see how they look on. Thanks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Everyone seems to have a problem with paint chips.. I'm wondering if anyone has bothered talking to their dealer or Lexus customer service about it ? Maybe you guys should pick a day and all call Lexus at the same time.. then maybe they'll recognize it as a problem..

·
Registered
109 Posts
I agree with F8L as well, this is bull****!! I didn't buy a 35k car to have cheap paint put on it. This sucks.. i will talk to my dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Also, I'm not sure if it applies for all states or just California, but I remember when I had a new car (back in 89), I had a 5yr/50k mile corrosion warranty or something like that.. basically covered against rust and abnormal/premature body (which I assume to include paint) wear/corrosion.. I thought I remembered someone getting paint covered on this.. or maybe I just want to think that.. either way, it'd be something to look into..

·
Registered
994 Posts
Screw talking to the dealer. That's as good as talking to a stranger about it. If we want some results out of this, we're going to have to make it clear to Lexus customer care about the problem. The idea about all calling on the same day isn't a bad one. It'll definitely make it evident to them. Another thing we can do is to draft up a letter, and have everyone print it, sign it, and mail it in. What do you guys think ?

--k

·
Registered
155 Posts
TEG/Webmaster - How many members does the forum have? How many owners? Just wondering what sort of voice we have.

As far as talking to the dealer, all I get is the "Hmmm... no we've not heard any complaints..." and of course this morning all I have is credibility with them since I'm in for replacing the windshield. I've never had a dealer ever really give a crap after you sign the check anyhow. I just hope some Lexus people follow the forum.

[This message has been edited by F8L (edited October 03, 2000).]

·
Registered
666 Posts
I like chiem's idea about drafting up a common letter. Email it to everyone and we all sign our copy and send it in to Lexus.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I don't have an IS yet.. but give me the letter and I'll send one in too.. I'm down for your cause.. also I hope they fix it before I get one

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have 9 chips on my Spectra Blue Mica, my friend has the silver and has more, we both got our cars the end of August, What the @#&*! 35k for this, I want Answers Damn it

------------------
que la chingada!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Are we gonna do this letter thing?

I'm bad with words...
Can someone volunteer to eloquently draft up a letter regarding dissatisfation of the front end paint chips?

·
Registered
176 Posts
yeah, I agree w/ chiem, good idea, chiem.
Webmaster/Teg can you put together a letter so all we owners &future owners can sign/send to lexus customer service, pleasssssssssse!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Personally, i think Emerald is the best orator... I elect em to be our "voice" to lexus.. heh heh.. TEG/WEBMASTER, do you guys have his email???

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a feeling the clear coat is kinda soft too. I'm getting all these little scratches and swirls. I've only handwashed it with a cotton mit and cotton towels to dry. Granted I have a black IS, but my old black Honda wasn't as delicate.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts