Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lexus has the stupidest tiprontic shifter IMO, what's the point of it? it basically just holds ur gear and that's it. *It doesn't shift when u want it to.

Is there a way to mod it, so it become a real tiprontic? Lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You could try the rare LFA trans swap, it wont be cheap though.

Seriously what kind of stupid first post is this
Dude do u know what I m
Talking about? Have u try other tiprontic before? Lexus has the stupidest one. What kind of stupid answer is that from u?

·
Registered
28 Posts
It works the same as the ones in the Infiniti G
Lol!! Okay I own a G35, TL type s and an iS350. Do u own an is350 or a G?
G35 and TLS has the same kind of tiprontic. Lexus has it's own tiprontic Which it only hold gears like D2 D3 D4 in a regular automatic car.

If u dunno what I m talking about, just do some research, Or watch fifth gear driving an ISF, they will explain it.

Also it isn't a swapping tranny thing, it is a computer thing -_-

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Lol!! Okay I own a G35, TL type s and an iS350. Do u own an is350 or a G?
G35 and TLS has the same kind of tiprontic. Lexus has it's own tiprontic Which it only hold gears like D2 D3 D4 in a regular automatic car.

If u dunno what I m talking about, just do some research, Or watch fifth gear driving an ISF, they will explain it.

Also it isn't a swapping tranny thing, it is a computer thing -_-
You're confused about some stuff.

Your first mistake is thinking the ISx50 has any manual shifter at all... it doesn't. It's not a tiptronic.

The only thing the paddles do is let you set the maximum gear the fully automatic transmission can use.

Paddle it to 4 and it's an automatic transmission able to use any gear between 1-4 and shift automatically between them.

Paddle it to 3 and it's an automatic transmission able to use any gear between 1-3 and shift automatically between them.

And so on.

At no point can you ever directly shift the transmission, nor are you intended to.

If you want that, get an IS-F. Which has a completely different transmission with a true manual mode (that is vastly superior to what is in the G, or the Acura for that matter)

The paddles are useless for drag racing or something if that's what you're trying to do with them.

They're nice for preserving your brakes coming down out of the mountains, but not a ton else.

·
Registered
28 Posts
You're confused about some stuff.

Your first mistake is thinking the ISx50 has any manual shifter at all... it doesn't. It's not a tiptronic.

The only thing the paddles do is let you set the maximum gear the fully automatic transmission can use.

Paddle it to 4 and it's an automatic transmission able to use any gear between 1-4 and shift automatically between them.

Paddle it to 3 and it's an automatic transmission able to use any gear between 1-3 and shift automatically between them.

And so on.

At no point can you ever directly shift the transmission, nor are you intended to.

If you want that, get an IS-F. Which has a completely different transmission with a true manual mode (that is vastly superior to what is in the G, or the Acura for that matter)

The paddles are useless for drag racing or something if that's what you're trying to do with them.

They're nice for preserving your brakes coming down out of the mountains, but not a ton else.
Yeah, that's what i meant "set maximum gear the fully automatic transmission can use." I m not confused, I just didn't know how to say it, thanks XD.

I do not agree with you that ISF's manual mode is better than ISX50 nor G or Acura, cuz it isn't. I test drove an 08 ISF, it has the exact same xxxx as the ISX50 (set the maximum gear the fully automatic transmission can use) THE ONLY different is it has twin clutch so it shift faster. It is NOT direct shift.

Infinti and Acura still have the true manual mode which allow you to SHIFT like a manual car (Direct shift).

What I want to find out here is "is there a way to mod the computer or w/e to make my IS350 Direct shift like Infiniti/Acura/BMW/Audi, etc..
I only know Lexus has this kind of stupid tiprontic..

Thanks for ur reply!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I do not agree with you that ISF's manual mode is better than ISX50 nor G or Acura, cuz it isn't. I test drove an 08 ISF, it has the exact same shit as the ISX50 (set the maximum gear the fully automatic transmission can use)
No, it is not the same.

If you really test drove one, you never actually put it in M mode.

M mode is fully manual.

the IS-F transmission is completely different than the ISx50 one.

THE ONLY different is it has twin clutch so it shift faster. It is NOT direct shift.
The IS-F does not have a twin clutch. Again you don't seem to understand the IS-F transmission at all. It has a single lock-up clutch via a traditional torque converter.

Infinti and Acura still have the true manual mode which allow you to SHIFT like a manual car (Direct shift).
So does the IS-F. And a much better one too. It offers full manual mode and much faster shifts.

What I want to find out here is "is there a way to mod the computer or w/e to make my IS350 Direct shift like Infiniti/Acura/BMW/Audi, etc..
No, there isn't. The transmission was never designed or intended to be anything but fully automatic. If you want this feature you need an IS-F. Which again has a completely different transmission. The IS-F direct manual mode isn't only due to programming, it was designed very differently from the ground up to support this feature (lockup engages in all gears but first, not just higher gears... special high-flow solenoids were designed for the line pressures, etc)

In Detail: The Lexus IS F 8-Speed Sport Direct Shift Transmission - AutoSpies Auto News

Info about the IS-F transmission said:
The worlds fastest shift time for street legal production cars. At 0.1 second, it’s faster than you.

• Full manual shift control that can be instantly accessed by moving the console-mounted shift lever to “M” and then using either the steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters or the shift lever. In manual mode, it shifts only when you tell it to.
Or from lexus.com itself:

Lexus said:
This IS F's Sport Direct-Shift transmission uses a special lock-up clutch for improved responsiveness, plus a control system that enables virtually instant manual upshifts (as quick as 0.1 seconds) and blips the throttle on downshifts, while giving the driver full control over gear selection.
It sounds like you either never test drove an IS-F (maybe it was an F-sport ISx50 and you didn't know the difference?) or you never tried M mode when you drove a real IS-F, because it doesn't work, at all, as you describe it working... instead it's a true direct-shift manual mode that goes into exactly the gear you put it in and stays there until you tell it otherwise.

·
Registered
557 Posts
It seems that 822609400 appears to be behind on things, lol.

Time to get updated. :)

Seriously, you need to listen to what knightshade says. He is giving you the correct info.

And you see, when I bought the '11 IS350, I bought it knowing that it is fully automatic. I can use the SS mode to assign top limiting gear.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright thanks man, I will go to Lexus again then XD maybe it was my mistake about the isf.

I guess there's no way to make it direct shift. sighss... Love everything about my 350 but that.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Alright thanks man, I will go to Lexus again then XD maybe it was my mistake about the isf.

I guess there's no way to make it direct shift. sighss... Love everything about my 350 but that.
No worries... I agree it'd be a nice feature, but bear in mind the 2IS is an old model at this point... it was available in late summer 2005. Which means primary design work was done in 03-04... the current (2012) model is likely the last one of this generation.

Ideally the 3IS will offer a direct-shift auto of some kind.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No worries... I agree it'd be a nice feature, but bear in mind the 2IS is an old model at this point... it was available in late summer 2005. Which means primary design work was done in 03-04... the current (2012) model is likely the last one of this generation.

Ideally the 3IS will offer a direct-shift auto of some kind.

I just thot it's weird for the is350 cuz my 2002 TL s and 04 G35 coupe are direct shift :/ and they are older cars lol..

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just thot it's weird for the is350 cuz my 2002 TL s and 04 G35 coupe are direct shift :/ and they are older cars lol..
I find that hard to believe. I owned an '06 TL 6MT, and test drove an AUTO loaner and it took a long time to respond to the up shift command using paddle. Or am I having brain fart? I thought I remembered this..:suspiciou

·
Registered
36 Posts
No no he's right, I also test drove the ISF, the convertible one, they must have numbed it down some. Come to think of it the even had different badging. Wait a minute....
FYI. There is no convertible IS-F. Perhaps you're mistaking the ISx50 F-Sport convertible for an IS-F.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd trust Kightshade's opinion. Dood knows his stuff.

I use the "sport" shifting mode regularly unless I'm on the phone, drinking water, changing a CD, or in heavy traffic. then I take advantage of the convenience of an automatic.

I never use the paddles. Too far back from the wheel to easily reach with my fingers. Kind of a pain. I miss the buttons on the wheel of my old 300 IS.

For the record, there are several things I miss about my 300 IS. Might be a fun thread to start......

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
822609400 I know exactly what you're talking about. In the Infiniti when you go into manual mode and select a gear it will hold that gear no matter what. It won't down shift it won't upshift. You can floor it and rev till redline and bounce it off the revlimiter but it won't upshift. You can be going 50, put it into 7th gear and floor it and the car will just bog down but it won't down shift. Manual mode is "manual mode". The only time it will down shift by itself is if you slowdown and are coming to a stop so that the engine won't stall.

Not like my old IS that would only limit the highest gear you select, it would down shift as it sees fit which is pretty stupid for a manual mode if you ask me. I think most autos are like this, more idiot proof for idiot drivers. I tried the BMW auto and it acted the same way even in manual mode it would shift on it's own if you hit redline or stomped on the gas.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
822609400 I know exactly what you're talking about. In the Infiniti when you go into manual mode and select a gear it will hold that gear no matter what. It won't down shift it won't upshift. You can floor it and rev till redline and bounce it off the revlimiter but it won't upshift. You can be going 50, put it into 7th gear and floor it and the car will just bog down but it won't down shift. Manual mode is "manual mode". The only time it will down shift by itself is if you slowdown and are coming to a stop so that the engine won't stall.

Not like my old IS that would only limit the highest gear you select, it would down shift as it sees fit which is pretty stupid for a manual mode if you ask me. I think most autos are like this, more idiot proof for idiot drivers. I tried the BMW auto and it acted the same way even in manual mode it would shift on it's own if you hit redline or stomped on the gas.
^822609400 like this. XD thank you for ur understanding!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Yes, and the IS-F is like that too. But better and quicker at it.

The ISx50 does not offer this feature and was never intended to (though you CAN bounce off the rev limiter all day long in whatever top gear you limit it to, but that's it... it'll still automatically up and down shift within the allowed range and you can't, ever, manually command a gear shift)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts