Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 is350, and I am curious as to how often others use the paddle shifters. In my daily commute here in So Cal I rarely use them. I ask this because I have signed up for the track event in Fontana May 30th and I am attempting to use the paddles more in preparation for that day.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
On a track day I would recommend just leaving the car in power mode, the paddle shifters will just be an unhelpful distraction.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've never used mine. I guess I'm lazy.

Supposedly at the track, the car is slightly faster if you just leave it in automatic mode and stomp on the gas.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
No human can shift as fast as a computer.

If it's a drag track, just leave it in S (since you don't want it going higher than 4th)

If it's a not-in-a-straight-line track then there might be some benefit to using the paddles, but keep in mind they're not really shifters, they just set a top gear limiter on the car- the car won't hold the gear you select like a "real" shifter would.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No human can shift as fast as a computer.

If it's a drag track, just leave it in S (since you don't want it going higher than 4th)

If it's a not-in-a-straight-line track then there might be some benefit to using the paddles, but keep in mind they're not really shifters, they just set a top gear limiter on the car- the car won't hold the gear you select like a "real" shifter would.
I agree auto's will most always shift faster than a manual. But the Lexus track event is a road course and I think we will be paddle shifting the IS-F the majority of the time. See the link below.

https://www.tasteoflexus.com/performance/faq.asp

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I use the paddle shifter when I am being enthusiastic around town. I think if you were doing a road course it would benefit you to do the shifting from the shifter. You might have the wheel turned a bit and need to hit the up or down shift so the shifter would be more intuitive. I have not taken my car on the track yet but that is just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I use it mostly for engine braking and also to be on the power band coming out of a curve.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Note that the shifter in the IS-F is -completely- different from the ones in the ISx50.

It's a -real- shifter, not just a top gear limiter... and could certainly be of a lot of value in a road course.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i always drive in sport mode, but ONLY so i can downshift to slowdown or maintain a speed downhill. try to avoid brake dust as often as possible ;)

as for the track event, not sure. all i know is in a drag autos the best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i always drive in sport mode, but ONLY so i can downshift to slowdown or maintain a speed downhill. try to avoid brake dust as often as possible ;)

as for the track event, not sure. all i know is in a drag autos the best.
Off topic but, I took my 350 to the dealer and had the front pads replaced with ceramic per the TSB and brake dust is no longer a problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts