Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really tired of banging my head against the wall on this. 2002 manual is300 mostly stock.

1349 code which is vvti malfunction. This is only code thrown.

I have about 6 different (3 new) ocv valves, have manually triggered the new ones by hooking straight to 12v and they seem to open and close fine.

Pulled the vvti little screen, cleaned it and replaced it just in case.

Noticed vvti gear was leaking, so pulled it apart and replaced the very brittle rubber o ring, currently no longer leaks.

While I had the screen out I cranked it over and blasted oil everywhere to make sure there's no clogs. (240k miles)

Double checked timing (replaced ~15k ago, no issues) and it's good. Belt still in decent shape.

So vvti gear rebuilt, a pile of working ocv valves, brand new vvti screen and still throwing this stupid code. Engine runs and drives fine, no hesitation, no misfire, no cam pos errors.

Really dunno where else to go with this.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also replaced the pigtail to the ocv valve as the old ramp clip had snapped off.

Someone in a different thread mentioned valve timing, but all my marks line up properly on everything.

·
5,037 Posts
If wiring to the solenoid is good. That leave the gear or timing. I know you rebuilt the ear. But if it is not right. It will not work properly. Are you sure you got the right O-ring and put it together right? Also did you clock it right when you did the timing? I know you said you check timing. But I would go over everything again. I assume you had cleared the code and it came back.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If wiring to the solenoid is good. That leave the gear or timing. I know you rebuilt the ear. But if it is not right. It will not work properly. Are you sure you got the right O-ring and put it together right? Also did you clock it right when you did the timing? I know you said you check timing. But I would go over everything again. I assume you had cleared the code and it came back.
Ya code comes on after about 28 miles after clearing it. Vvt gear was turned all the way to the right before timing put in. That was 2 years ago, timing hasnt had any issues.

Vvt gear only goes together 1 way, it's not leaking and the engine is running fine either hot or cold, doesn't seem like there could be an issue there.

For the ocv I have a pile of them, 1 known bad causes cel to come on after about 5-7 miles once engine heats up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And back to wiring and timing are fine. If preferable would like input from someone else as I don't know where to go from here

·
5,037 Posts
Does it look like the VVTi gear is able to move and not leaking? You said it was timed right and not loose. You did verify the wires back to the ecu sow good connection. This is about the lat ting. Other than an ECU issue. But that is very uncommon. I guess worse case you can send the ECU to get checked and repaired.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It has a brand new ecu in it replaced 6months ago from dealer.
Ocv valve actuates when applied to 12v.
Engine stumbles when unplugging ocv.
Ocv inline filter replaced.
Ocv pigtail replaced and wires inspected on top of the above.
Vvti gear dissembled and seal replaced, reassembled 100% the way it came apart. Internal gears to vvti cleaned and inspected, no issues.
Timing replaced 2 years ago, re-verified timing is dead on and belt in good condition.
No wobble or play in vvti gear. No leaks in vvti gear.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
2,119 Posts
you need to verify that the wiring to and from the OCV is good and NOT shorted. You’re asking for others to respond but it’s no good if you can’t follow the very simple instructions to verify wiring. You keep saying you have but unplugging the OCV is not checking. Not is trying multiple OCV. NOR is stating you have a new ECU.

The OCV has a negative and positive control to and from the ECU. You need to check. WITH A DVOM or thé like. For continuity to and from pin E5 and E6 on the ECU and the positive and negative pins on the OCV.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pigtail + wires up to the loom were replaced.
I would assume if wiring was an issue it wouldn't stumble when being unplugged since it's still registering.

It runs fine, no stutter, no power loss, literally no issue other than the cel.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
2,119 Posts
Pigtail + wires up to the loom were replaced.
I would assume if wiring was an issue it wouldn't stumble when being unplugged since it's still registering…
That’s just it. Up to the loom, is NOT the loom. Think about it. You have tried everything else BUT the wiring. It’s not like any of us like tracing wires, but it’s not hard to do especially when the ECU is located right there next to the engine. You haven’t checked continuity from the ECU to the pigtail within the loom so therefore you can’t logically rule it out.

Unplugging it again doesn’t mean the wiring is good. There is a positive and negative signal, the ECU is also taking readings from the cam sensor as well. It could be that your cam sensor Isn’t reading correctly.

BTW if your car is stalling when you unplug the sensor, you OCV is most likely bad. When you unplug it while running, the idle shouldn’t change. If you unplug it AND apply 12v directly to the OCV (while it’s installed on the car) the car should then act like it wants to stall.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes thank you, I'll look at the cam sensor. That's what I was looking for, useful input, not hurrdurr check ocv and timing multiple times.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes thank you, I'll look at the cam sensor. That's what I was looking for, useful input, not hurrdurr check ocv and timing multiple times.
Also yes I mis recalled the process, stumbles with 12v applied while installed and nothing happens at idle when unplugged.

·
Registered
2002 Lexus IS300
2,119 Posts
Lmao, man you must not want to check any wire bro. That’s also useful information. But i guess we can all just let you keep going around in a circle chasing your own tail.

6 OCV, wiring pigtail, timing, OCV direct power, ECU. Not once checking wiring. It’s not like we are trying to send you on a wild goose chase. Just trying to help you rule out everything you haven’t checked yet.

The cam sensor guess is just that, a guess. I know it does communicate a cam angle to the ECU to adjust the OCV.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts